Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
The SP Daily said the PUP was going to start a program which would place a new laptop in the hands of school children. I wonder if this program is the same one that some guy in the US has started for kids throught the world. He makes them available to various governmemts for about $100 each for distribution to schools.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
S
S
One and the same.

Not the same program. Channel 7 news showed the laptops, they are the eeePC laptops. They are a nice little laptop different from the others. But the eeePC retails for 400 US each. Google eeePC and look at one.

S
S
I stand corrected, it looked from the pictures that they were the same units.

But they are much better laptops if they re going to buy them. eeePC comes with Linux instaled but windows can be installed. The One PC per child program only allowed Linux to be loaded. It also looks from what I have been reading that the one pc per child program is dying, laptops never reach the kids or as soon as they are given are taken away and sold. Sad stories.

These days kids need to have computer skills, no matter what they do for a living. You need to type up resumes, do research on the internet etc. etc. I hope this project takes off.

If only we could figure out how to have btl offer AFFORDABLE internet. I have a few kids that I keep supplied in 2nd hand computers, ipods etc, but I just can't afford to pay for them to have internet access - other than paying for a few hours for homework each week at one of the internet cafes.

Maybe when all of the primary school kids have internet we can setup some wireless hotspots and share the btl cost.

S
S
What a great start!

Sacred Heart in Cayo has wireless, free I guess, my daughter uses it A LOT! (so do I when in town)

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
If the High School can get the second computer lab up and running would there be a way for all the kids on island to go there for an after school type program?

What happened to the promise during the last election to have internet in every school in Belize? Now it is free laptops?

S
S
um....promise is comfort to a fool.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 154 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.