Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261818 01/06/08 02:46 PM
OP Offline
&nbsp Hi All,
the next time I go to Belize I want to see the southern districts. I've been thinking of spending a few days on Tobacco Caye, shore diving and being a beachbum. The options for travel are:

• Take a Tropic/Maya hop.
  • Rent a car and drive the Hummingbird Highway.
  • Bus it down.
  • ?

I've never done any of these. I assume that taking a hop will require a cab ride to the docks. Renting a car sounds good if I can turn it in at an agency in Dangriga. Does anyone know if that's possible? Bussing it would be a good way to watch the scenery go by. I assume I'd have to bus it out to Belmopan and transfer to a southbound from there. Anyway, let me know if you've done any of these, or if you've heard how to do this part of the trip.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

&nbsp

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
Hi Dan,

I am in Dangriga and is sure that you'll enjoy visiting the south of Belize.

My suggestion is to have your own transport. This will allow you to enjoy the scenery much more and also be stop if you see something interesting on the way to Dangriga, ie inland Blue Hole.

If you want to go to Tobacco Caye, I can certainly offer my yard for you to park the rental car for a few days.

The south of Belize is B - A - U -TIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

hummingbird highway pics:

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/80148193

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/79851138

the drive from belmopan to dangriga is gorgeous. i think i was gawking most of the way. the inland blue hole is a must-see stop.

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/80146935

from dangriga to placencia is the worst road/ride i ever did in my life. i have not been on the southern highway toward PG.

OP Offline
&nbsp Hi belizegial,
my biggest concern with having a rentacar is the cost that will build while I'm on Tobacco Caye. Rentals are expensive in Belize, and I'm reluctant to park a $75/day car on the beach while I spend a few days on the island. Now, if I could find a rental agency that had offices in Dangriga as well as Belize City, that might work. Every one I've researched had an office at one or the other, however. Do you know a way to do this without burining up a few hundred bucks on a parked car?

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

&nbsp

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
Most of the rental companies in Bz City will pick the vehicle up in Dangriga if you need a one way rental, but there is a fee for this. Budget used to charge $87.50US but it's probably more by now. Nice scenic drive. Bussing it, yes, you would change busses in Belmopan.
You can fly from BZE to DGA for $57.75 US pp one way. Taxi from the airstrip to the boat dock in town is probably about $5-7US. Might be worth spending a night or so in Dangriga. Interesting cultural town - not touristy at all. Real Belize. Then you can fly on to PG or Placencia when you get back from Tobacco Caye. Worth seeing the south. Toledo is amazingly gorgeous and unspoiled (so far). Email me if you need ideas on where to stay in & around PG - I was there in Nov and saw most of the hotels & inns. Lots of new little places and some new big places.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.