Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#266182 - 02/04/08 09:58 PM Mangrove Snapper
ibbrian Offline
I will be there starting Feb 15th and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on fishing for Mangrove Snapper in the area. Also will be fishing on the very south end of the island in the deep cut where I've been told there might be Permit. Any truth to that rumor?
Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

#266216 - 02/05/08 08:56 AM Re: Mangrove Snapper [Re: ibbrian]
elbert Offline
Their are a lot of better fishermen than i on this board ,but i say yes for sure i catch mangrove snapper and 'see' permit but haven't caught one.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#266226 - 02/05/08 09:33 AM Re: Mangrove Snapper [Re: ibbrian]
bywarren Offline
Here is an interesting and informative web site on the fish in Belize. http://biological-diversity.info/Fish_marine.htm

PS: to answer your question. Yes, you will catch a varity of the different snapper and there are permit but difficult to catch in most places especially where there is the fishing pressure like around AC.

Edited by bywarren (02/05/08 09:41 AM)

#266229 - 02/05/08 09:44 AM Re: Mangrove Snapper [Re: bywarren]
collyk Offline
We catch and eat tons of mangrove snapper. They are the fish with a cute dot. Very common here. Best way to catch them is to have a great fishing guide. When we go, if the line is in the water for longer than a minute, you're bait is gone. They virtually jump into the boat at the right sites. We've caught small permit, but never intentionally.
Belize Wedding Photography

#266231 - 02/05/08 09:49 AM Re: Mangrove Snapper [Re: collyk]
elbert Offline
Cool Link bywarren, I bookmarked it.Collyk , your supposed to pull when you feel a nibble on your bait....i think?

Edited by elbert (02/05/08 09:51 AM)
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#266235 - 02/05/08 09:57 AM Re: Mangrove Snapper [Re: elbert]
collyk Offline
What bait? We don't use bait. We just whistle dixie.

#266236 - 02/05/08 09:58 AM Re: Mangrove Snapper [Re: ibbrian]
bywarren Offline
Don't mean to be nit-picky, collyk, but you are probably talking about mutton snapper. They have a "dot" just before the tail. Grey snapper, also called mangrove snapper, do not have this. Mutton snapper are ofter called, mistakenly so, red snapper.

#266238 - 02/05/08 10:01 AM Re: Mangrove Snapper [Re: bywarren]
collyk Offline
You're right ByWarren. I drank a bit too much rum punch last night. Well if you are talking about Grey Snapper, they are trickier to catch. Put up a great fight. They were plentiful after Hurricane Dean. Everyone was catching them by the bag load right off the docks. If ibbrian is going to the channel down south, he/she/it will have a really good chance of catching them. We've had some good fishing for Greys down there.

#266240 - 02/05/08 10:09 AM Re: Mangrove Snapper [Re: collyk]
Bill Mc Ghee Offline

This is the fish you are discussing.
Never Use money to measure wealth

#266343 - 02/05/08 05:44 PM Re: Mangrove Snapper [Re: Bill Mc Ghee]
ibbrian Offline
Thanks for the info. What are you using for bait & hooks/lures and is it feasible to fly fish for them?
Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, 2 invisible), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,285 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.