Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#266228 - 02/05/08 09:44 AM Carnaval
Marty Offline
Nice note from Bill....

As we stand poised for another Mardi Gras celebration here in San Pedro...all important surfaces are being covered...the new cobblestone in the Town Park, outdoor signage, park benches and terra cotta. Since Sunday, San Pedro's children have been walking about painting their friends and enemies. The town provides a bluish water paint so all uncovered important surfaces can be cleaned...eggs are sacrificed by the professional mischief makers. Several years ago, I went to the town park at the high point of the paint war and my white shirt and I survived without a splotch. A remarkable achievement like climbing Mt Everest or completing a Ultra-marathon. So while those stateside call it Super Tuesday...its still Fat Tuesday to me. Take care: Bill

#266233 - 02/05/08 09:55 AM Re: Carnaval [Re: Marty]
collyk Offline
Carnival has been going on for two nights already. Central Park was covered with sand on Sunday and all of the Wing's benches were covered in plastic. We have participated in Comparsa, the traditional dances, for the last two nights. They are so much fun and absolutely hilarious. Another Comparsa tonight and judging also happens. The kids have been out in hordes, painting, running and screaming. All very good natured. Comparsa and Carnival are old traditions here but are sadly dying out. This festival is very important to a number of local charities as the Comparsas collect money from every home that they visit. I hope that in future years, people will support this wonderful tradition by turning out to watch, participate and contribute. We didn't see many expat faces down there, which was a shame. Belize is full of rich culture and tradition. Being able to live here and get involved in these wonderful things is an absolute privelege as far as we are concerned. Come out and support Comparsa tonight. Be generous. Have a laugh and enjoy!
Belize Wedding Photography

#266244 - 02/05/08 10:25 AM Re: Carnaval [Re: collyk]
JeanH Offline
We're here in San Pedro now and have been sort of avoiding downtonw since I really don't want to get painted. I know they're supposed to ask, but some neighbors of ours got covered yesterday and didn't really want to.

Most of the expats we've spoken to are staying away for the same reason.

I love the festivals and celebrations here, just don't want to hassle with the potential mess.

#266248 - 02/05/08 10:45 AM Re: Carnaval [Re: JeanH]
Marty Offline
amen colly. i was a lil apprehensive at first, but i wade right into them, and they don't bother me a bit. hardly even see me. its like a big fish swimming into a school of little fish. they just part for me.... extremely well mannered kids.

but when i get ready to get wasted with paint, they are happy to oblige.

#266249 - 02/05/08 10:50 AM Re: Carnaval [Re: Marty]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
If your in town, your fee game (especially after a bottle of One Barrel). Adult painting is today, especially after work.

"When in Rome...."

Were you at Marty?!!!? I'm coming for you!

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#266250 - 02/05/08 10:52 AM Re: Carnaval [Re: Marty]
collyk Offline
Isn't it fun Marty? I just love it. The Comparsa though are particularly wonderful. The lyrics to the songs are absolutely not PC (you'd get arrested for them in the USA or UK), the dances sometimes really crude, but definitely funny. Most of all it is all about the tradition and keeping it up.
Belize Wedding Photography

#266264 - 02/05/08 12:12 PM Re: Carnaval [Re: collyk]
Craigswench Offline
I know the first year I stayed at a safe distance. The kids always asked if they could paint you, and respected it when I said no. After that year, I joined in, and had a blast!! I wouldn't wear anything terribly expensive, but have fun... you only live once.

#266268 - 02/05/08 12:21 PM Re: Carnaval [Re: Craigswench]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#266271 - 02/05/08 12:41 PM Re: Carnaval [Re: Sir Isaac Newton]
travelqueen Offline
Marty, will be there next week! Hang tight till I get there!!! smile

#266273 - 02/05/08 12:45 PM Re: Carnaval [Re: travelqueen]
Marty Offline
here's a good one from a friend, i asked her if she was getting painted tonite, she said "maybe plastered, not painted." Yeah its a blast. i love Carnaval.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 46 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.