Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#267641 - 02/13/08 12:42 AM Travel Meds??
RachelAnne Offline
Hi everyone,

We're first time visitors to Belize, and will be arriving end of March, and staying for two weeks. We'll be in San Ignacio for the first week (which will include a one day trip to Tikal) and in San Pedro for the second week.
Reading the CDC website, I see that they suggest Hepatitis A and Typhoid shots, anti-malarials and antibiotics (for "just in case").
What I'd like to hear from other travelers/locals, is what I really need to worry about. I hate the idea of the anti-malarials and hope that it's not an issue as long as we have DEET (although I hate the idea of malaria even more so I'll be taking them if necessary). That's my main concern. However, after trying to find Typhoid shots in my area, that might be a problem too.
So... do we need the anti-malarials? Are they worth the side effects? I'd love to hear from people who've traveled both with and without them.
Thanks so much for any advice/experiences. Much appreciated!!!! smile

#267646 - 02/13/08 07:19 AM Re: Travel Meds?? [Re: RachelAnne]
sweetjane Offline
i know nothing about the day in Guatemala, but in san ignacio area there are VERY few mosquitoes. don't think i got bit even once. skeeters in SP sometimes, depends on the weather and breeze. i personally dont feel malaria is a prob there, others' opinions differ. bug spray is usually enuf.

some people get shots, i never have. there is a thread on bug repellents on the 'about ac' board, search it for suggestions, there were some good ones.

travel meds: advil, benedryl cream. imodium (just in case).

you will love the cayo area, it's great.

#267647 - 02/13/08 07:33 AM Re: Travel Meds?? [Re: sweetjane]
dabunk Offline
End of March is into the dry season, mozzies are not a big problem then. If I were spending most of the trip in the jungle I would do them, but from your schedule I would not.

#267696 - 02/13/08 11:06 AM Re: Travel Meds?? [Re: dabunk]
If you do decide on anti-malarial drugs, I think you'll find there are some which don't have any side effects. That certainly always used to be the case. I took anti-malarials for 2 1/2 years when I was in Africa and never suffered any side-effects. Still contracted malaria mind, at the very end of my stay, because I spent my last couple of weeks in a different area that had bugs my pills weren't designed to counter. Malaria meds are VERY specific to different strains of parasites carried by different mosquitos.

But I doubt whether you'll find any need for anti-malarials here, or anywhere in Belize. Do do your best not to get bitten though (DEET and the like).

#267703 - 02/13/08 11:26 AM Re: Travel Meds?? [Re: ]
JeanH Offline
Typhoid vaccine also comes in tablet form. I think it's four pills over several days. Good thing about the pills is the protection lasts five years, as opposed to two for the injection.

I truly think everyone traveling to Central/South America should be vaccinated against Hepatitis A, and probably Hep B as well. For that matter, where I live, they're starting to vaccinate everyone, Hep B starting at birth, and Hep starting at twelve months.

#267706 - 02/13/08 11:38 AM Re: Travel Meds?? [Re: JeanH]
SimonB Offline
Wish I'd known about the Typhoid vacination, that one really sucks. Having said that I don't personally know of anyone else who has contracted it and I'd been living in Indian Church for 2 years before I picked it up.

#267791 - 02/13/08 07:13 PM Re: Travel Meds?? [Re: SimonB]
A correction to my earlier post. A regular contributor to this board has PM'd me to say that 8 years ago his wife caught malaria on the island. My statement that it's not a problem is based on my never having heard of anyone catching it, but it seems that may be another consequence of the "hush up bad news" mentality rather than necessarily true.

#267798 - 02/13/08 08:09 PM Re: Travel Meds?? [Re: ]
Cooper Offline
On Caye Caulker we havnt had any mosquito's for months...people are starting to talk, Guess we finally got rid of them all!!!!!!

#267800 - 02/13/08 08:44 PM Re: Travel Meds?? [Re: Cooper]
RachelAnne Offline
Thanks everyone! Sounds like I'll try the typhoid pills, instead of the shot. Great excuse for one less shot, if you ask me.

I do have one more concern that I just came up with...Jane mentioned needing Immodium. That's something I hadn't even thought of - should I be concerned about Montezuma's revenge????? If so, is there anything we can do besides Immodium???

#267801 - 02/13/08 09:12 PM Re: Travel Meds?? [Re: RachelAnne]
dabunk Offline
Immodium works fine and is readily available here. Problems are often not with the water but the change in diet. Some do not adjust well to the higher carb diet prevalent here, rice, rice n beans, beans and rice, tortilas, etc. Stick with bottled water which is avaialable everywhere if your system does not easily adjust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.