Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#267962 - 02/15/08 07:45 AM Rare Thresher Shark caught of English Caye
Short Offline
No Ordinary Fish Story

When four local young fishermen set out to throw their lines and bring back their catch yesterday, little did they know it would be an adventure of a lifetime as they got more than they bargained for. 7NEWS got the call late Wednesday evening. When our news team arrived at the Vernon Street Bridge Fish Market, a crowd had already gathered. What caught everyone’s attention, even that of seasoned fishermen was a very unusual shark. And as you hear in this following report from Jacqueline Godwin this is no ordinary fish story.

Jacqueline Godwin Reporting,
You are looking at one of the largest deep water shark species in the world; it’s the big eye thresher shark which can easily be identified by its unusually long tail. An exotic and rare animal, but when we found it yesterday evening it was just the catch of the day at the Conch Shell Bay Fish Market.

What this rare specimen was doing in Belize’s waters or how many more are around is anybody’s guess. Marine researchers say sightings are rare – because this type off shark is only found way offshore. This thresher was caught just after two on Wednesday afternoon in five hundred feet of water just outside of English Caye.

Tristan Goff, Fisherman who caught Thresher Shark
“When I see it, when it came out, when it surfaced, first time I see in my life, I told my brothers like this, ‘what kind of shark is this,’ but it is the first time I saw one like this in my life.”

It took the fishermen brothers Harold, Tristan, and Devon Goff and one friend over an hour to reel the big fish unto their eighteen-foot skiff.

Tristan Goff,
“It took four of us to haul it.”

Jacqueline Godwin,
Were you scared?

Tristan Goff,
“No we weren’t scared because we are usual fishermen, nothing scares us. When we caught it, because of the force with which it was fighting us, we wanted to see what it was – because it was fighting us like that. It was strong.”

Jacqueline Godwin,
“How did you reel it in?

Harold Goff, Fisherman who caught thresher shark
“Actually by hand, hand line. We hauled it with our hands and we didn’t realize the size of it most of all until we caught it and we got it up to the boat side and we saw it was so big.”

They discovered that the shark was a female and pregnant. A total of six eggs were removed from its carcass.

Jacqueline Godwin,
So what will you do with the shark?

Harold Goff,
“Well we will fillet it and sell it.”

Tristan Goff,
“We are looking to sell that and make money.”

And before we could holler shark the fishermen wasted no time in filleting their big catch of the day. Jacqueline Godwin for 7NEWS.

We understand that a team from the Wildlife Conservation Society visited the Vernon Street Fish Market where samples of the dead thresher were taken for genetic studies.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=10473&frmsrch=1

#267972 - 02/15/08 03:04 PM Re: Rare Thresher Shark caught of English Caye [Re: Short]
elbert Offline
Its a mackrel shark they aren't aggressive.
I'm surprised the fisherman has never caught one before. I've seen them brought in to the San Pedro docks.

#267988 - 02/15/08 04:33 PM Re: Rare Thresher Shark caught of English Caye [Re: elbert]
SimonB Offline

#267999 - 02/15/08 05:43 PM Re: Rare Thresher Shark caught of English Caye [Re: SimonB]
elbert Offline
oops sorry your right ,not a mackerel shark.
To bad they didn't get another photo before the filleting

#268043 - 02/15/08 10:00 PM Re: Rare Thresher Shark caught of English Caye [Re: Short]
LIBeachBum Offline
Threshers give a great fight! We get them off Montauk Point here on Long Island. I couldn't imagine bringing one up by hand!!!!

#268146 - 02/16/08 09:16 PM Re: Rare Thresher Shark caught of English Caye [Re: LIBeachBum]
Rykat Offline
Thresher sharks are quite common off New Jersey in late summer and early fall. Many sizes from 20 lbs to 300 lbs.We usually release them unharmed if possible but they are good eating and some that are caught are kept. Bright purple body and long tail(and a strange "face") usually suprise anglers when brought up . Have seen and caught quite a few but they are always a conversation piece.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.