Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#268372 - 02/19/08 05:08 PM Tours advise - whale sharks - eco tours
suecate Offline
2 questions

1. is a 9 year old experienced snorkeler to young to do the whale shark tours or should we wait til next year when he is ceritified and we can all dive?

2. Recommendations for tour guides to show us other parts of the wildlife. someone who would be able to custom design a day for us?

Edited by suecate (02/19/08 05:09 PM)

#268375 - 02/19/08 05:23 PM Re: Tours advise - whale sharks - eco tours [Re: suecate]
JZB Offline
I think maybe you should ask these questions in the Stann Creek section. There are no whale shark tours in San Pedro.

#268376 - 02/19/08 05:25 PM Re: Tours advise - whale sharks - eco tours [Re: JZB]
suecate Offline
just looking for expert advise for the whale shark portion but staying in AC for the 2nd question. Thank you I will also post question in Stann creek.

#268384 - 02/19/08 06:12 PM Re: Tours advise - whale sharks - eco tours [Re: suecate]
Diane Campbell Offline
Check with Seahorse Dive Shop in Placencia. They will know the practicalies and the legalities.

The whale sharks are in open sea - when I did my snorkeling with them the waves were 10 feet high and it was a bit scary until I got used to it. Of course not all days are rough, but note that earlier in the season it is said to be calmer than later (we went in June). It's also DEEP out there, and the average snorkeler is not used to seeing nothing below them, so it can be a little bit disorienting. And then there is the seasick factor ---- you may have a kid who can take it, but I'd tend to leave the little ones onshore for this particular adventure.
For the parents - GO DO IT - it is an incredible experience !!!

#268385 - 02/19/08 06:14 PM Re: Tours advise - whale sharks - eco tours [Re: Diane Campbell]
Diane Campbell Offline
Have had wonderful custom designed tours with Daniel Nunez of Tanisha Tours. Try a ride all the way around the island - it's great.

#268445 - 02/20/08 12:44 AM Re: Tours advise - whale sharks - eco tours [Re: Diane Campbell]
suecate Offline
I emailed Daniel a couple of days ago and have not heard from him I do have comcast after reading the posts this maybe the problem.

#268453 - 02/20/08 01:36 AM Re: Tours advise - whale sharks - eco tours [Re: suecate]
shuffles Offline
Whale sharks are in Placencia from March to June, three days before and three days after the full moon.....so plan your trip dates accordingly!

#268463 - 02/20/08 02:27 AM Re: Tours advise - whale sharks - eco tours [Re: shuffles]
Phil Offline
......up to twelve days after the full moon, from memory.

SeaHorse Dive Shop are the founders of this trip and excellent. He books out quite a long way in advance so be organised. Do a search for their web site and it has tons of detail, and videos even. I've been down three different times, each time with them, and over the six days have seen them every day with Brian - when we got back most people had seen blue water. We were Diving which has a better strike ratio, but when you do find one they will come to the surface, so snorkelling is good too. To get the best chance of a sighting I booked two days running. The Last hour or two of daylight is the most productive time - if you get a choice - as I believe they give operators time slots now, but I presume that happens on site rather than when booking.

Nothing can prepare you for the awe of a forty foot fish brushing you as it swims by with an open mouth that a car would fit inside.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.