Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#268410 - 02/19/08 03:01 PM Developers Shut Down
Belize-N-Us Offline
Heredia says a team from the Ministry of Lands and the Environment will be sent to San Pedro to meet with the individual developers. Chief Environmental Officer Ismael Fabro maintains they only closed 4 sites, two of which were given clearance this morning after their lawyers met with department personnel. He declined to tell us which sties were closed. DOE officials tell us that the sweeps are routine and that the projects were closed down because none of them have environmental clearance. As Minister Heredia mentioned, the projects have approval of the Ambergris Planning Authority but an environmental clearance is still required.

According to this article, 2 projects remain "shut down".

Does anyone know which 2 projects remain "shut down".

Facts people, not rumors or personal opinions PLEASE.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918

#268411 - 02/19/08 03:15 PM Re: Developers Shut Down [Re: Belize-N-Us]
SP Daily Offline
"Facts people, not rumors or personal opinions..."
On a message board?????????

#268421 - 02/19/08 03:39 PM Re: Developers Shut Down [Re: SP Daily]
elbert Offline
I tried to merge this topic with one of Bills post on the same subject but lost it in my clumsy merge ,...sorry bill.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#268425 - 02/19/08 04:12 PM Re: Developers Shut Down [Re: elbert]
Amanda Syme Offline
I know one of the sites that is closed down - but the employees are still working on other sites. I suspect I know the other site that is closed, and again, the employees all have alternate work with their employer.

Teething pains with the change of government. It will all settle down.

#268438 - 02/19/08 05:38 PM Re: Developers Shut Down [Re: Amanda Syme]
Belize-N-Us Offline
Thanks for your input but the question was.... what sites are closed?

If you know them then please name them.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918

#268747 - 02/21/08 04:47 PM Re: Developers Shut Down [Re: Belize-N-Us]
ERT Offline
Here's what I know, which is not helpful except as a bit of background. I know this from an individual who accompanied one of the Environmental teams that was here (at the request of the team to give them directions). He was on a boat that went to 2 sites on the back side of Ambergris Caye and then to some little cayes to the west (I don't know exact locations). In the 2 sites here, they found dredging, clearing &/or mangrove cutting in progress. The Environmental team asked for a copy of the permit, which is supposed to be on the work site.

The workers had no permit, so these projects were not in compliance, at least to that extent. The workers were asked to stop until the Environmental team could track down the owners or contractors and look at their permits. Whether the permits for those sites were ultimately found to be in compliance or not I don't know.

Assuming proper permits, the sites would not have been shut down even temporarily had the permits been on site. Why the Environmental team tracked down the owners or contractors to look at the permits I also don't know. They should have stopped the work until the owners or contractors delivered a proper permit to them, if necessary, even after their return to Belmopan. Then the work should have been resumed only after the permit was properly posted on the work site. This team, however, pretty much "babied" the permit holders.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 35 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,241 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.