Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#268479 02/19/08 11:40 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for information on Ambergris Caye. I have been going to Playa Del Carmen on the Yucatan for many years. I'm looking for a change. Playa is getting too big and has changed quite a bit from the old days. I'm 48 and all I require is nice beaches (maybe some jet skiing - is that allowed?) and some fun bars with fun people at night. (No mega discos)

I'm not a diver just a fun in the sun person. I've been told by a few people that I would probably get bored in a few days. From what I have read on the internet, I'm not sure that this is the case.

So I guess the question is....can a non diver who likes the beach and beer and fun people at night...have a good week there.

I will appreciate any replys.

Thanks,

Jim

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Hi
Yes, you can rent & use jet skis (or rather Waverunners - the ones with a seat) here, in the center of town on the sea. To get a decent beach you need to go a bit further afield, north or south, but not so far that you can't get into town for a night out and manage to get home afterwards. Even if you don't rent a vehicle (golf cart or motorbike/scooter) there's a good and affordable taxi service here from the town southwards. If you stay north some more care is needed to ensure you can get home.

I don't think there's any fear of you getting bored. Lots of people who come here do just what you're talking about.

Jim,

The beaches are lovely in their own way. It's not the wide sand expanses of the Gulf Coast, it's not the vigorous Atlantic, it's not the cliffs of the Pacific.

The beaches are narrow, lined with gorgeous palms which whisper in the Caribbean breeze. The water is amazingly clear and relatively quiet on the reef. The marine life is stunning. There are fabulous snorkel trips (I don't dive either) where you'll see vibrantly colored fish, southern stingrays and nurse sharks. Close to shore, many beaches have seagrass which isn't the best for swimming, but is an important "nursery" for the sea creatures. There are places to swim around various piers and in front of Banana Beach Hotel (and others).

There's plenty of nightlife. Even better, I love to visit with locals and tourists alike while walking the beach, lounging on the beach, or tooling around in town during the day. You can rent a golf cart or a bike to tour the island. There is a nice variety of restaurants.

This will be my third trip to AC and I haven't seen everything yet. Nowhere near tired of the place!!

When do you arrive?

E
E
Like snorkelgirl said there are plenty of beaches up and down San Pedro, just a little different. The only thing that you're missing is the sound of waves crashing and surfing. I was happy to trade that for the incredibly clear, calm water this side of the reef and the lack of surfer-types. You can walk barefoot in the sand for miles up and down the beach. Besides the reef provides all that incredible snorkeling, diving and fishing.

As to your question: can a non diver who likes the beach and beer and fun people at night...have a good week there? That sounds like just exactly what I did when I was there 3 weeks ago. Good food, lots of Belikins with some great people. Ya can't beat it.

God Bless The Reef!
C
C
Jim - have no fear - just do it! We are Yucatan/Cozumel lovers and really love AC - we are even thinking about changing retirement plans - that's a long way off though! No time like the present to start thinking about it:) AC is much more laid back than Playa and not nearly as commercialized! and the people are great! Don't forget to go to Caye Caulker or even do the Manatee watching/Goff Caye/Beach BBQ day trip! That was the perfect day trip for me!

Live Laugh Love
Jim,

If you are looking for a laid back relaxing trip this is a great trip! Next week will be our 4th time back and we can't wait. The people are great,it's beautiful and there is lots to do. If you are looking for huge condos, McDonalds and so on this is not the place!! There is alot of sea grass so swimming is not as easy if that sort of thing bothers you but there are lots of trips to the reef for snorkeling.

BeachLife, to get an idea of the night fun, check out the "Battle of February Crwals" and "March Crawl- you decide"

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
"I've been told by a few people that I would probably get bored in a few days."

Have those people ever been to San Pedro??!!

I have been accused of sitting around working very hard at doing nothing!

Just watching life go by on the beach is fun in San Pedro!
Do you normally get bored easily? Because I have never heard of anyone wanting to go home early from San Pedro Town!
Belize it!

C
C
Ditto Margarita! You will not get bored - there is always something to do and something to see at your leisure.

Live Laugh Love

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.