Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#268228 02/18/08 12:12 AM
OP Offline
Just got back to San Pedro from my annual visit to San Ignacio. Cayo is a wonderful change of pace from Ambergris Caye...it has a nice Central American charm as opposed to the Caribbean ambience of San Pedro. The Tour of Belize professional bicycle race came through San Ignacio and it was an exciting experience to see the cyclers make the tight downhill turn at the San Ignacio Police station then across the famous Farnsworth tall bridge. A carnival and reggae concert were also in town this past weekend...San Ignacio was really hopping. Stayed at both the Midas Tropical Resort and Venus Hotel during my stay...owned by the same family, both always provide friendly service and pleasant accomadations...my homes away from homes. Serendib's Resturant continues to serve my favorite dinner...curried shrimp, savory rice, and deviled potatoes. A pleasant surprize was the Firenza Italian Restaurant on the side street across from Belize Bank on Burns Street at the center of San Ignacio. Handmade authentic brick oven pizza and fresh to order pasta were great...this restaurant is Italian owned and represents a great new option in San Ignacio. Needing no praise is Hanna's on Burns Street. Look for the packed up restaurant...I enjoyed the BBQ'd Lamp ribs...this place really does it right. Cayo has a wonderful array of activities; cave tubing, float trips, Mayan ruins, and a very rich and diverse ecology. Again...a very pleasant place to be.

Last edited by Bill Thornton; 02/18/08 12:20 AM.

Gone fishing!!
S
S
That's my home! Cayo is amazing, the place makes you feel like you are really in Belize, away from the golf cart brigade, $50 dinners and $5 beers of San Pedro. Roosters crowing in the morning, reggae pulsing from the wooden homes, the early morning mist, the smell of fried jacks and beans, and the hills, beautiful.

(keep it a secret)

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
OP Offline
Lucky ducky!! Will be returning to San Ignacio maybe in two weeks...and I will try to wake up in time to see the early morning mist, although I have heard the Roosters. Infact, Midas is a particularly wonderful place to hear and see birds of all varieties. It is next to the Macal River...which is for the birds. PS. Did you know the famous bridge was built by Canadians, eh.

Gone fishing!!
S
S
Walk a bit down Branch Road and check out my inlaws place, Smith's Family Farm. A cool spot for a cold drink. Life still is slow in Cayo, the way it should be.

The folks at Mida's are good friends too. Big family, nice people.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
L
L
I've always wanted to visit SI, but the only accomodations I knew of were too big and expensive for a solo traveler. If I want to get there fast and take it slow for a few days upon arrival at International, what is the best way? Where do you fly to and can you fly from there to AC for the last leg of the vacation?

hey ms laurie!

i believe it is a no-fly area. 3 times i went, 3 times we drove from BCity, only about a 2 hour drive.

SIN will know where you should stay, and if ya e-mail Barb K (escape@barbsbelize) she has land out there and knows of many cool accommodations - and has likely stayed at most.

L
L
SJ, think you are right. I did not see any flights going there. Need to look into bus ride, 2 hours isn't bad at all. Thanks!

No flights to SI any longer. Car rental, bus or hotel transfer (about $75 one way into SI town) is the only way. Lots of inexpensive accommodations right in town, as well as on the outskirts of town or in the neighboring villages. The more remote jungle lodges are generally more expensive but there are also some good bargains at some of those as well. For solo travel, I would recommend staying in or close to town. Lots of good restaurants, fun nightlife, great tours and adventures. Generally much less expensive than SP. Can leave SI by noon and be in SP by 3PM by bus & flight, or by dinner with bus & boat. Definitely worth spending some time there.

LOL laurie - ain't NUTHIN like that drive from san jose to puerto viejo!!! wink

no traveling compadre this time?

L
L
Barbara - thanks! exactly all the stuff I wanted to know.

SJ, no nuthin like it, but gotta love it. I've done it twice, by public bus and Autobus. Quite an adventure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.