Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#26879 09/16/00 01:03 AM
T
OP Offline
T
pattrick-e, i just finished my first confined water lesson, it was terrifing!!!! it is not natural to breathe out your mouth...it took about 30 min. to get used to this new way..i'm still nervous, but maybe by tomarrow i'll be more calm...the excercises were not hard, i did okay, my husband forgot who his buddy was and left me on the bottom of the 16ft.end...i did panick a little and swallowed some water at the surface. tomorrow we will be in class for 3hrs, lunch then in the pool for 3hrs. i am an accomplished swimmer, and have great confidence in my abilities, but this diving is different than anything i've tried before. can you give some pointers to relax and enjoy like everyone says? there was another message on this board about a wife who won't learn to dive because of a bad experience...i want to enjoy, without being nervous. the instructor said he doesn't have 100% passing record, so i want to pass. plus our open water check-out dives are already booked w/ gaz cooper.... which reminds me, we'll probably see you there or on the plane there also.. will not get to read your reply until after lesson tomorrow but last lesson before passing referral is sunday. please help!

#26880 09/16/00 10:47 AM
Hey Good Luck, and come back and report, I need your encouragement, truly.

Dare To Deviate
#26881 09/16/00 10:48 AM
TexasCat,

First of all, I don't consider myself an expert at this sport, others out there have certainly logged more dives, but I really do enjoy it. The things that you see in the ocean are really awesome. And it seems that you have the confidence and dedication to succeed. Now as far as pointers are concerned...

Diving and breathing through a regulator IS something very different than anything you have done before. But, after one or two classes in the pool, the unnatural feeling of breathing underwater should subside. And your confidence will increase with each lesson, and afterwards, with each open-water dive. Just take your time and relax, maybe a few slow, deep breaths to calm your nervousness before jumping into the pool. Limiting underwater exertion also helps to control your breathing, because you breathe harder with more exertion. And remember, it's not unusual to be a little nervous. But with proper training, you will be alright. The object of your course work and the lessons that you are taking is to turn the word "terrifying" into "terrific".

If you are experiencing discomfort because the mouthpiece is too large, ask your instructor if one of his regulators has a smaller mouthpiece (physiologically speaking, a woman's mouth is often smaller than a man's, and the mouthpieces on regulators are normally sized for a man). For your trip to AC, you might want to buy a smaller mouthpiece for a few bucks to take with you, and I'm sure that Gaz Cooper will install it on the regulator that you will use that week. He will probably have tie-wraps available, but to make sure, take a few tie-wraps to secure the mouthpiece to the regulator.

As far as your buddy is concerned, tell that "Dawg" to keep an eye out for you. Your safety is his responsibilty; and of course, his safety is your responsibility. You both need to keep this in mind as you dive. There will probably be occasions when one of you will feel nervous or need some type of support, and just having you buddy close-by is comforting. Also, by staying close (lets say within 5-8 feet)and maintaining frequent eye contact, you can share the things that you see with each other. On each dive, we try to identify and to find something that we have not seen underwater before. Last year, I found a sea-horse for the first time. And Della spotted a Toadfish in Cozumel. Or you can search for different types of coral, there are literally thousands of different types.

As you are taking your lessons, concentrate on the rewards that you will receive from all this effort. The beauty and tranquility at the bottom of the ocean are simply awesome. If you haven't already, I would suggest that you pickup a dive booklet that describes the reefs and fish of Belize at your local dive shop or a bookstore to get an idea of what you will see down there. And one of those plastic charts that describe fish and coral types is fun to have on-board the dive boat.

Remember that you are not the first ones to have gone through the certification process, and most of the other ones have succeeded; I'm sure that you too can and will make it through the program with flying colors. Let me know how today's lesson goes. Also, only 21 days left!

Good Luck, and we'll see you there.

[This message has been edited by patrick-e (edited 09-16-2000).]

#26882 09/16/00 12:11 PM
Thanks, for your input. Read every word, and will apply.

Dare To Deviate
#26883 09/16/00 01:29 PM
Chloe,

Have you signed up for your lessons yet? Living in Brownsville, it should be easy to find a scuba diving certification course. Really, its pretty easy to do. And you already know what the reef looks like from the snorkelling angle. Think of how it will look when you're down there on the bottom. The rewards are too great to wait one second longer! Go right now, find the name and number of your dive shop or local YMCA and DO IT!!!

[This message has been edited by patrick-e (edited 09-16-2000).]

#26884 09/16/00 05:18 PM
Good advice. Dive shops at South Padre Island, but I am not trusting of those guys.
No YMCA here.
I know alot of people here that dive, but they go other places to dive, our water is not as clear, and the fish are around the Jetties, and the currents are strong, and you can get bounced into the granite huge boulders. Most of local divers go out to sunken ships, way out in the gulf. That is not for beginners. I am thinking. I know you are so correct, do not waste another minute.

Dare To Deviate
#26885 09/16/00 07:01 PM
TexCat One thing you should know is that it is like an Under Sea Garden of Eden on the Belizean Reef. The biggest problem I have with breathing is because I'm trying to say OOOOOHHH AAAhh look at that!! Go SLOW, Breath Slow, and you won't Belize your Eyes!
My three favorite spots:
Mexico Rocks
Hol Chan at Night
Tres Cocos
San Pedro Cut/Channel
The Wreck
Hol Chan Day
Shark Ray Alley when no one else is there!
Coral Gardens
Need I say More?
Belize it!

#26886 09/16/00 10:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
i dont (wont) dive, but my husband does. when we were there last month i watched two people get certified to journeys end, and they did great! they were so awed they forgot to panic.

now, there was one guy there who had a panic problem. he had actually dived several times at other places, yet had a problem in belize. he thought it was because the previous ones had been walk in dives and her he had to go backward off the boat. the divemaster said no. (i'll just say this guy was nice, but a really huge dork). anyway, the guy freaked twice, yet was there to try again.the next day. i was snorkeling along with them that day asked him to just be my snorkel buddy for the day instead. he did, had a great time, and went out later that same day to dive, no problem. mind over matter. he just had to relax. you'll do great (wish i had the nerve). oh, he got to dive with dolphins the next day at turneffe.

#26887 09/17/00 12:09 PM
P
P
One technical peice of advice I will humbly offer (because I have seen many female friends struggle with this):

Practice clearing your ears, all the time, while you are walking around each day. You will learn about this in class, but there are tubes - called eustachian tubes - that connect the back of your middle ear through to your throat to equalize the pressure inside and outside your eardrum. The opening of this tube in your throat will get "looser" the more times it is opened and thus will eventually make it effortless for you to equalize (i.e. No Pain going down!). This has caused great anxiety with a couple of my female friends who have tried to learn to dive. Helps with airplanes too.

Good luck! I am sure once you get started diving you won't want to stop!

Parrothead.

#26888 09/17/00 02:34 PM
Okay, How do I do that?

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.