Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#270352 - 03/05/08 09:14 AM Pier access laws?
SimonB Offline
Bringing this subject up again. Does anyone know where you can find a copy of the laws regarding pier access. My understanding is that all piers are public access for foot traffic with the following restrictions on docking: 6am to 6pm south side open to public docking, 6pm to 6am north side open to public docking not to exceed 24 hours.

The subject was brought up on the morning show and a recent press release said that docks may only be accessed by the public from 6am to 6pm. There seems to be disagreement if this is the case.

#270355 - 03/05/08 09:34 AM Re: Pier access laws? [Re: SimonB]
Amanda Syme Offline
I don't believe there are any laws regulating pier useage. The authority over piers bounces back and forth between the town council and Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources. I would say that now that Central and Local government are both the same party that the town council will most likely become (or most probably is) the governing agency in regards to pier regulations.

Because these are regulations there is a probablility that some appeals may be considered, on a case-by-case basis.

The bottom line is that if there are no specific laws governing the piers then the regulating and enforcement will typically fall upon the local government.

#270361 - 03/05/08 09:41 AM Re: Pier access laws? [Re: Amanda Syme]
SimonB Offline
Kathy had the same problem that Colette had recently with Banyan Bay, she was (very rudely) thrown off the Caribbean Villas dock while taking the Kirkman's dog for a walk. Just trying to find out where I can find something in writing that I can take to them.

#270378 - 03/05/08 10:15 AM Re: Pier access laws? [Re: SimonB]
Phil Offline
Surely this boils down to some common sense, and while being rudely asked to leave for a brief visit is not the way to go, these piers are owned and built at great expense for the use of a resorts guests. They are situated on public land but they are someones property. The access law/rule seems aimed as an access for emergencies at sea and possibly for short term docking. You see hoards of people camped out for the day on some docks and it precludes the tourists the opportunity to use the facilities designed for them. That would annoy me as a resort owner that had spent $100k+ building one and thousands more every year maintaining and insuring it. There is some middle ground in my view but if people don't want you on their property, and they're prepared to take any poor public perception as the consequence, so be it. I see even Ramons, the most tolerant resort to non guests using their facilities, have even had to take the step of marking their sunbeds for use of guests only recently. It's the same issue but different property (and value)

An analogy is your car or golf cart. It's used and often parked on public roads, but do you let any Joe Bloggs drive it around when you've left it parked (although I'm sure we've all had it happen), leave a mess in it, and possibly damage it without telling you.

#270396 - 03/05/08 11:30 AM Re: Pier access laws? [Re: Phil]
Diane Campbell Offline
The pier permit issued to the individual who built the pier contains the parameters of the permission. Over the years they have been issued with different stipulations.
There is no legislation that gives the stuff Simon is asking.

Most permits say that the permit holder should provide "reasonable access at reasonable times" to the public.
All of the ones I have read say "no gates" - that is the one thing that seems truly consistent.

A few years back some people got in a kerfuffle over a particular pier in town. They all wanted to see the legislation ....... and discovered there was none. So they were angry with each other and could not or would not cool down enough to collaborate for a solution. They decided to go to court. After lots of lawyer money and lots of tension and time, they ended up in front of a judge. Whilst in court the gravity of having a "one size fits all" court decision hit both sides of the dispute. They went out for a beer, made a deal and dropped the case.

Phil's right about common sense - and a dose of good manners would be useful too.

Kind of makes me think of that book "Everything I needed to know, I learned in Kindergarten" .........."don't mess up other people's stuff, don't hit, share, play nicely and take a nap when you are cranky."

#270441 - 03/05/08 03:41 PM Re: Pier access laws? [Re: Diane Campbell]
But there are lots of piers with gates.

#270488 - 03/05/08 08:25 PM Re: Pier access laws? [Re: ]
pamkillen Offline
I have always thought that the piers were open to the public and have left mine open. The only issue that I have had is some kids were fishing and not cleaning up after themselves. I spoke with them about it and now they fish and clean up. I also had someone park regularly to have breakfast. he tied is boat up right in the way so I could not get my boat out. I spoke with him and he moved to the north side.

#270583 - 03/06/08 12:59 PM Re: Pier access laws? [Re: ]
weile Offline
I wouldn't put a gate on my dock, nor would I put a palapa. Reason: It looks bad and blocks what people enjoy to see - the view, the reef etc.
But, I do tell people not to fish from my dock. I have had my share of fish guts and sardine heads between the boards + lines in the boat prop, not to mention hooks.
The idea of privately owned facilities on public property is not difficult to deal with. Everyone is granted acess, but you need the owner's permit to put up camp.

#270589 - 03/06/08 02:04 PM Re: Pier access laws? [Re: weile]
pamkillen Offline
Actually, that makes a lot of sense

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,705 Topics
461,224 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.