Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#27211 09/19/00 04:54 PM
OP Offline
I posted my open water story under another topic...."FOR CHLOE....on diving"

I'd like to hear other peoples experiences.
They make for interesting stories.
[Linked Image]

OP Offline
OK......fess up!
Am I the only one in the "Diving Bloopers Hall of Fame"?
Surely not!
[Linked Image]

J
J
Sandshaker....I will stand up and be counted. I am a diving failure. The ear thingy I could never get over. While I loved being around the reefs, the week afterwards of bumping into walls and hearing thru a muffler was not worth it. I now snorkle! Plus, I was never able to get comfortable with that gray area beyond visabilty. And those sharks and barracuda! No thanks. A little rum punch, a little snorkle in shallow water.....that'll do me!

P
P
OK here's one. It needs some set up...

In Advanced Open Water class, you have to master certain things in various check out dives. In my class, we were in the Florida Keys when another couple joined our boat for the day (not students). Well, we were all going over our stuff heading out to the dive sight when we noticed the better half of this couple getting ready. She stopped EVERYTHING on the boat! The best body money could buy if you know what I mean. In a pink thong bikini to boot!

As it turns out this happened to be the navigation dive and you and your buddy have to do several exercises using your compass - like swim 100 yard square route (in 30 ft visability) and end up right back at the instructor.

Don't you know that as I was navigatin' my way around this imaginary square, Miss Pink Thong swims across my path just below me. Of course I ended up unconciously turning to follow her and when I realized I was now lost I looked at my buddy who also had no idea where we were. We ended up so lost that we had to surface 3 times just to find the boat! Everyone was back on board before we were and the instructor wondered what happened to us. I made up some story about I thought we had done all the exercises which he didn't buy, but when I later told him the truth he understood and passed us!

Parrot (with a rubber neck) head.

OP Offline
LOL @ Parrothead. Don't worry...you're not alone. It's a gender defect found in ALL of the male species....LOL

You have a true biological problem, so therefore you couldn't help yourself....right? [Linked Image]

Good story...but I have one question?
Can you navigate a square now?
LOL

Jerrico....that's tough...but the snorkeling is great too! A lot of people have the same problem.
I've been to the keys and our visability was about 80 feet. Where were you that it was 30 ft....or what were the conditions?
Sounds terrible. I wouldn't like that either.

Heres a tall tale. I was on a dive outside of Destin, Florida. It was one of my earliest dives. I surfaced up to the boat and while in the process of grabbing the ladder, I sensed alot of splashing behind me. Looking back, I saw fin. Wow, I flew up da ladder. I feared, of course, a shark. The boat attendant told me it was a Ramora, trying to attach itself to me. I was a bit overweight at the time, but I didn't think I looked like a Whale.

Gone fishing!!
R
R
Tomorrow we are going to enter the small parade in San Ignacio with our pick-up. The truck will have our 200 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank filled with water and all the kids. We call it the "poorman swimming pool". Lots of fun and laughs. .....I guess its the inland version of open water!!!
Rod

I was originally certified on 1975 in the ocean off Palm Beach. And on my final check out dive, I found that the others in my group were no where in sight! So, . . . I looked around and all I could see was a school of 5 or 6 barracuda. Well, this terrified me. All I could think about was that I didn't want to turn my back on them, and did not want to let them think that I was afraid of them; and what was the most fearless thing that I could do? (Probably faulty logic, eh?) I swam right between them toward the surface, so that I could find the boat. I survived that experience and have now learned that barracuda are not quite such a fearsome animal (though they do look fearsome and I still have a certain respect for their razor sharp teeth!).

Patrick

OP Offline
Patrick....I don't like those Barracuda either! I'm more afraid of them than I am of sharks. Sharks don't bother me...and you usually have to provoke them for them to attack.
Barracuda are very territorial....and those teeth and that lightning speed they have...scare the hell out of me.

I was snorkeling at Mexico Rocks one time and was in an area where the coral was in a corral formation....reaching a height of just under the surface....with one entrance.
I was minding my own business when this huge Barracuda decided to pay me a visit.
Problem was...he just hung in the doorway....no way out!
After about a 5 minute stare down....he snapped his jaws....like he was licking his chops.
I said..."Oh no....not gonna be YOUR lunch"...and I too...bolted straight at him.
He took off....and I swam like hell for the safety of the boat....LOL
When I reached the boat...the dive master looked down at me in the water..and laughed. He said."What's the matter?"
I said.."those #@%$@#(* Barracuda!!"
He just laughed. He did tell me that was the best way to scare them off...was to shoot straight at them as fast as you could.

He said they don't really see you as food...they see you as an intruder in their area....and because you are bigger...they will retreat when you challenge them.

I still hate 'em....LOL

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
parrothead, i'm still laughing!! you and my hubby are two of a kind! oh, i think that bikini girl was me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.