Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#272208 - 03/14/08 03:56 AM Traffic & Streets
Marty Offline
from the Chamber of Commerce

The streets were discussed, with the Mayoress outlining the Town Councilís plans for paving remaining streets. Third Street (or Back Street as it is also called) is being designed to service commercial delivery vehicles, and once competed, to direct those larger heavier vehicles to avoid both Front and Middle Streets.

Traffic volume was brought up, and the letter from a resort along the street whose guests are awakened every early morning from the street noise. Big trucks, rusting mufflers, and speeders all contribute to destroying our islandís attractiveness.

Tom congratulated the Mayoress and the Town Council on the new palm trees planted on Beach Road, and the realization that traffic had to be allowed temporarily due to the water and sewerage lines being installed to the bridge. Plans for this street to be paved will occur once the lines have been completed.

Vehicles were discussed, with a concentrated effort to down-size as much as possible, and have larger vehicles carry more of the burden of road repair. Tom brought up Manuel Herediaís original hope to get taxis to use smaller vans as they need replacement and begin to standardize color and markings. Tom mentioned that Harry Longsworth, our Traffic Chairman, intended to enforce removal of vehicles before a replacement would be allowed. Mr. Longsworth also has expressed a desire to continue discouraging large or heavy vehicles.

Mayoress Paz announced a plan to have Harry become a paid Traffic Manager once the traffic authority has been transferred to town responsibility. She also announced the plan to hire 10 to 12 Traffic Wardens once the income from that area remains in our Townís coffers.

#272474 - 03/15/08 04:42 PM Re: Traffic & Streets [Re: Marty]
Dan Carey Offline
&nbsp Marty,
I hope that there's a solution to the traffic mess. I don't see a way to fix the problem, unfortunately, and I can't think of anywhere on the planet that's reversed a problem as big as San Pedro's. Some cities have ended vehicular traffic in the older sections of town, although they allow deliveries. I don't see a way to do that on a narrow island such as Ambergris Caye, however. Maybe it's a write-off. Maybe it's Pasadise Lost.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

&nbsp

#272483 - 03/15/08 05:36 PM Re: Traffic & Streets [Re: Dan Carey]
JZB Offline
I hope Harry can do what everyone else before him hasn't been able to. Someone needs to say NO to all these new vehicles.
Are all those SUVs really necessary? I see more and more parked on front street every week. Parking now is a total nightmare!
Many vehicles, including taxis, can be downsized and parking should be on a diagonal.
Closing off front street to traffic is a great idea but what large piece of prime real estate are they going to use for a parking lot?
There is a lot of tough decisions and hard work ahead for the town if they want to control this situation.

#272490 - 03/15/08 06:09 PM Re: Traffic & Streets [Re: JZB]
Stilromin Offline
The method that I use to start reducing traffic is easy. It is a personal commitment that every two out of three times I want to hop in the cart,I opt to either walk and carry my stuff, or choose to ride the bicycle. I usually end up walking and seeing friends along the way...if one person tries this because of this message, I would be grateful.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 70 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.