Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#272205 03/13/08 09:54 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from the Chamber of Commerce

Tom brought up letters from tourists and locals that offered suggestions and expressed concern over the amount of litter and trash throughout our island. Jan Brown reminded everyone how bad it was in the past and how far we have come, but that it is an ongoing effort and education to deal with this problem.

Cullen Walker brought pictures of a "new" unofficial dumpsite being created on the North side of our island. There is an effort underway to create a road going West to the bay to eventually allow shipments to be received from the back of the island, and to also have cheaper and easier access to get products from Corozal. It seems that this project has either attracted or encouraged people to use it as a dumpsite. The Mayoress appreciated being informed of this situation.

The Mayoress announced she is making a cleanup campaign a priority, and has created a committee made up of all local organizations and associations to join together in this effort. She intends to get this started next week. Ms Paz asked the Chamber to provide a representative. The Town is giving the authority to issue tickets for littering to these committee members, as well as the Traffic Wardens and the Police.

Mayoress asked the Chamber for support and suggestions on how we can overcome this ongoing issue.

Marty #272241 03/14/08 08:40 AM
G
G
As a tourist I am not real clear on a long term solution, but i remember talk of larger cans around town for the small stuff, seems like a good idea.

On the short-term stuff, I am willing to spend some of my time filling up garbage bags...

C
C
Good to know.

H
H
I know trash is always bad news.
But reading the first post Mr. Jan is so right, I remember in the 90's going to the split from town, it was just terrible.
Trash stacked up several feet up in the air and a very bad smell...San Pedro has come a long way already. Just my two cents. Viva Belize, Fred

Now there's an understated response!!! laugh

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
Dear Members,
There is a rising interest in cleaning up our island.
One suggestion I liked especially for out-of-town areas, if some of you would consider it:

There is an amazing number of people (both locals & tourists) that walk along our roads and beaches that are willing to pick up trash as they go by, but need a place to put it.

Would landowners and resorts be willing to put a trash container on road and/or beach as your property is being passed? The Chamber would be willing to find containers and support this, but I think each of the property owners would prefer to put something that fits their style and décor. Those of you in condos could ask that your development support this.

Then we would ask that the land owner periodically see that these cans would be emptied and put with their regular trash.
The amount of garbage may be somewhat overwhelming at first, but over time would settle down to an acceptable level.

Please consider doing this, and if you make this effort, please email the Chamber at: [email protected] so we can announce the locations and let people know you are supporting this.

Having faith in people, I really think we will be amazed at the amount picked up by a variety of people that really care.
Thank you,
Tom

If you are going to consider that, then the next and logical stage is to have receptacles for Glass, Cans and Plastics separate from other disposables, and at least get "ahead of the curve?".

As most barges seem to arrive on Ambergris full and leave relatively empty, coupled with the fact there is no shortage of land available for landfill/garbage treatment on the mainland, there would seem to be the possibility of addressing an ongoing problem that computes the overall revenues brought into Belize by San Pedro, and the need for a solution to the Trash problem all over the country?

It has already been eluded to that the area where barges are now docking is being used as a dump site: can this be more controlled and managed?

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
I think it is great that this issue is under discussion. As you have basically pointed out near the end of the thread, though, what to do with collected trash seems to be an even bigger issue than just getting people to collect it.

I always assumed one of the biggest impediments to responsible disposal/treatment/recycling of AC trash, besides whether there are facilities available to do it, would be how to get the trash there given we're on an island. It would be great if empty barges returning to the mainland could be used, though I think the extra weight could boost fuel consumption. Would anyone be interested in starting a group to research and suggest solutions? I am game.

Keepin'ItReel FishingTours&More AlbertoTrejo 6255373
6709986 reelitinbelize@yahoo.com
oh as a follow up, i am ignorant on this point. are there good treatment facilities on mainland including ones for recylcing? the only thing i have every seen anyone doing with garbage on the mainland was landfilling and burning it.

Keepin'ItReel FishingTours&More AlbertoTrejo 6255373
6709986 reelitinbelize@yahoo.com
There is no recycling in Belize, so once you separate it, it all goes to the dump to be burned.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 281 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.