Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27445 - 09/21/00 12:25 PM The Truth about Obtaining Work Permits?
BelizeWater Offline
Hi, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the work permit situation for me..I've been given mixed messages, are they hard to obtain? Or a simple procedure? As you may or may not know, Consolidated Water of Grand Cayman, has purchased Seatec Belize (the Water Supply Company on Amergris). I'm trying to see how hard it will be to get a permit for staff...I'd appreciate your imput..How long, types of jobs that can get permits, etc etc

#27446 - 09/21/00 12:55 PM Re: The Truth about Obtaining Work Permits?
Sandshaker Offline
I'll tell you...but you have to PROMISE...IN WRITING.....to give us cheaper rates!

#27447 - 09/21/00 01:03 PM Re: The Truth about Obtaining Work Permits?
BelizeWater Offline
I'll see what I can do I'm just an engineer but you see, the higher the water demand, the more we can make and its cheaper to make larger volumes..so tell everyone to hook up to the water system so we can use more water and prices will drop.. from my understanding only 1 in 3 are connected..If we can get the big users, hotels etc online we'll get the volumes up!!! Keep in mind that on some of the islands in the Bahamas they are paying in the vicinty of $18-20 US per 1000 gal...I'll do my best..

#27448 - 09/21/00 01:08 PM Re: The Truth about Obtaining Work Permits?
BelizeWater Offline
Keep in mind that we don't set the water rates, we are selling water to the Goverment, who in turn, sells the water to you..so,ultimately its up to them. But from what I currently understand, they aren't making any money in Ambergris at this point...couldn't tell you why, maybe the distribution system has a lot of leaks? Maybe they need to restructure the rates; commerical companies have a higher rate than the residents etc...we have that in Cayman...

#27449 - 09/21/00 01:21 PM Re: The Truth about Obtaining Work Permits?
Sandshaker Offline
Well..I hope things improve once your company gets settled in. A lot of people here are fortunate enough to have good wells. Si, I don't see them connecting unless they run dry...LOL

It will be interesting to see how things change. When is the transition going to take place?

As far as work permits for staff from a company....I'm not sure about that.

There may be special provisions since you are coming here as a utility service for the general public.

Lan would be the one to ask about that that. He is very good with facts and figures.
I'm sure he will answer here....but you can visit his website at: http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Look under immigration.

Hope this helps!

#27450 - 09/21/00 02:10 PM Re: The Truth about Obtaining Work Permits?
BelizeWater Offline
Thanks for the info!

Well water is economical but can pose problems with corrosion of pipes, water heaters and connections due to the aggressive nature of well water. Additionally, they need to be closely monitored as they are easily contaminated by pesticides, herbicides and numerous other contaminents such as lead etc.

The other aspects are taste, odor and clarity. This does effect tourism as North Americans expect and only trust water that tastes like bottled water and is free of particles.

Many residents of cayman connected to the water system as a backup for the wells and many have completely converted or 1/2 converted where they use our water for the kitchen & laundry and the bathrooms remain on the well.Its all personal preference.

In Cayman we own everything from water production down to the pipe in the ground and the meters at the homes...We have a completely reliable system and supply roughly 1.8 million gallons of water per day with a 4.5% line loss...I believe its close to 20% in Ambergris..who do you really think pays for this loss?? In Ambergris we only operate the plant so far but would not be adverse to becoming more involved with the entire operation...time will tell..

A few of our staff have visited Ambergris and return with the statement that Ambergris is Grand Cayman 15-20 years ago..I hope we can play a part in the growth and development!

#27451 - 09/21/00 02:33 PM Re: The Truth about Obtaining Work Permits?
BelizeWater Offline
So Sandshaker, just realized that you are with the resort on North Ambergris, what will you do for water up there? FYI we are looking at doing something up there in the future as the Hyatt & Rosewood hotels will require water...Utilities are one of the things that maintenance fees cover right?

#27452 - 09/21/00 04:00 PM Re: The Truth about Obtaining Work Permits?
auschen Offline
The truth is out there.

#27453 - 09/21/00 04:17 PM Re: The Truth about Obtaining Work Permits?
Chloe Offline
Belizewater, you can get a some info here on this board, but. You definitely need to
retain an Attorney, in San Pedro or Belize City, is my thought.
Dare To Deviate

#27454 - 09/21/00 04:19 PM Re: The Truth about Obtaining Work Permits?
Sandshaker Offline
LMAO....BelizeWaters...you and I need to talk!

You found me out....yes..I have a vested interest in you and your company!

No good wells found yet....still digging.
Plan for now is a combination of Rain catchment and rev. Os.

When will you be coming here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Shyboy), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.