Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#274536 - 03/28/08 11:59 PM Beach Recommendations on AC
Smithhookteam Offline
We are going on our first trip to Belize in May and are staying at Captain Morgan's in AC. Can anyone recommend some great beaches to see on AC?

Thanks,
Ed & Louann

#274543 - 03/29/08 12:30 AM Re: Beach Recommendations on AC [Re: Smithhookteam]
deadserious Offline
AC really isn't known for it's beaches. Truth be told though, most beaches themselves are pretty nice so long as the nearby land owners keep them groomed. But don't expect there to be miles of it like in some other caribbean destinations. Also expect that once you step into the water, you will likely be wading through seagrass. Most people do not swim off from the beach but rather off from a pier due to the grass.

Captain Morgan's beach isn't bad. They have a great pool and pool bar too.

#274569 - 03/29/08 03:34 AM Re: Beach Recommendations on AC [Re: deadserious]
Barnacle Offline
not A.C. but for future reference,, this is the beach in Maya Beach, Placencia.
good swimming/snorkeling and no crowds.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8797121@N07/2110797249/sizes/l/in/set-72157600368695768/

Edited by Barnacle (03/29/08 03:34 AM)
Edit Reason: forgot link

#274571 - 03/29/08 04:13 AM Re: Beach Recommendations on AC [Re: Barnacle]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Excuse me but the island of Ambergris Caye has some great beaches to see and a few even excellent for swimming. The most impressive beach I've seen on the island is at Tranquility Bay in the Basil Jones area, wow, awesome snorkeling and a powder white sand beach sloping from twenty feet high. A short hike north will bring you to Robles Point, where land and the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System meet, the only place on Earth this happens.

Mar de Tumbo (Banyan Bay) has a killer beach, crystal clear water, shallow, hard sandy bottom and the best part is a huge sand bar about 100 yards off shore with depths from six feet to six inches.

Ramon's has a pretty nice beach too.

Placencia's beaches are nice too, but different than AC, to each his own. Whenever I swam in PL I got bit by sea roaches.

SIN

#274595 - 03/29/08 03:55 PM Re: Beach Recommendations on AC [Re: Smithhookteam]
Loansum-Al K Offline
The beach at Captain Morgan's where you are staying is very nice.

#274597 - 03/29/08 04:14 PM Re: Beach Recommendations on AC [Re: Loansum-Al K]
margarita Offline
Get a golfcart & take a day to explore the San Pedro shore for Town area beaches. Boat ride is needed to reach more remote northern shore or small islands.
Marty has great Maps & google earth link for Ambergris Caye
Look for Yourself!
http://ambergriscaye.com/maps/index.html
Belize it!

#274627 - 03/29/08 08:11 PM Re: Beach Recommendations on AC [Re: margarita]
crockhunter Offline
Having spent a lot of time in the Mar De Tumbo area, I would hesitate to call it crystal clear water. Waves comming through the hole in the reef seem to keep the water stirred up most of the time. Also Grand Colony's pier goes all the way out to the sandbar that once was great for swimming.

#274628 - 03/29/08 08:17 PM Re: Beach Recommendations on AC [Re: crockhunter]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Caveat: Clear when there is no rough surf, most of the time. Probably the reason it's the most popular beach on the island for local families to enjoy for swimming.

The Grand Colony dock extends out to the sand bar providing even easier access.

#274630 - 03/29/08 08:18 PM Re: Beach Recommendations on AC [Re: Sir Isaac Newton]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Banyan Bay, Grand Colony, Banana Beach and Mata Rocks share this area.

#274631 - 03/29/08 08:22 PM Re: Beach Recommendations on AC [Re: Sir Isaac Newton]
pugwash Offline
Just to show I do agree with SIN sometimes, I fully concur that Tranquility Bay and Robles are beach areas that stand up against any in Hawaii or the Caribbean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 37 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,191 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.