Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27530 - 09/22/00 10:43 AM Sandshaker - Qs for you
lmarquis Offline
Good morning SS: The day after we arrive (11/19) is Garifuna Settlement Day. Is that celebrated on A.C.? If so, what do they do? Are things generally open - like if we wanted to rent a golf cart, etc.?

Thanks, Laurie

#27531 - 09/22/00 12:29 PM Re: Sandshaker - Qs for you
Sandshaker Offline
Laurie...I moved here last year around Dec. 1st.....so I missed that time.

I'd have to ask around....I don't think it will be a problem though.

That holiday is celebrated more in Dangriga and Punta Gorda areas. A little in Belize City.

A few Garifunas here but not many. Most here are of Spanish decent.

#27532 - 09/22/00 12:43 PM Re: Sandshaker - Qs for you
lmarquis Offline
Thanks. I would appreciate it.

#27533 - 09/22/00 01:28 PM Re: Sandshaker - Qs for you
BelizeWater Offline
Hey Sandshaker, this message is for you..didn't know if you saw it, further to our convo yesterday.....

Sandshaker, as I've said we've talked about extending the water supply to your end of the island. So what is the time frame for your development? How many unit and when etc? Are there any other developed areas near you? Obviously the more customers we can serve would make it more cost effective..there are many options. I haven't looked at it cost wise yet, extending the pipe (we'd have to cross under the cut) or placing another plant on that side...If you are seriously interested I could arrange a meeting, our CEO will be there this monday..he's coming over with the new plant manager..maybe I could swing a trip too:-)..The new plant manager will be Jim Cavenough so you can contact him as well

#27534 - 09/22/00 06:35 PM Re: Sandshaker - Qs for you
Sandshaker Offline
Absolutely....a meeting would be wonderful!
You guys know best...but I would think a separate facility up north would be more cost effective.
There is water supply already to the area of Mexico Rocks. Another 10 miles maybe to our place.
With the volume that will be used by the two big hotels planned for the future....seems it would put less strain on the system to have something a little closer.
Mind you....I know absolutely nothing about water plants...just my own logical thinking...which can be a litlle wacky at times....LOL
There are several residents in or north of our area. One is in the process of building some new beachfront houses. Not sure if he plans to sell these or lease them out.
At any rate....the developement of the north end will really pick up in the next 2 years. The potential for more resorts is there.

We are scheduled to open in Jan. 2001
Working like hell to meet that deadline.
Things move slow here...GRRRRR....LOL
I've learned to live with it.

Let me know if you decide to make the trip too. How would I reach Jim Cavenough?

#27535 - 09/22/00 08:16 PM Re: Sandshaker - Qs for you
SP Daily Offline
Huh? Water supply to Mexico Rocks? Last I knew, the water suply didn't cross the cut.
I'd like to know more about this!

#27536 - 09/23/00 06:25 AM Re: Sandshaker - Qs for you
Sandshaker Offline
Maybe it's electricity?
LOL....told you I didn't know a damn thing about water companys.

#27537 - 09/23/00 06:28 AM Re: Sandshaker - Qs for you
Sandshaker Offline
They do have electricity right?

LOL....Jesse...you better not be gone too long....who's gonna correct me when your gone? You better leave sombody in charge of me....LOL.....just please don't pick Bill!

#27538 - 09/23/00 07:57 AM Re: Sandshaker - Qs for you
SP Daily Offline
Yes, electrical service runs north 7 miles to Casa Caribe and the 2 houses next door to the north. But thats the only utility that does go that far. Anyone thinking of developing up north should investigate the latest RO (reverse osmosis) systems. They've come along way and are a good solution to water supply.

#27539 - 09/24/00 01:13 PM Re: Sandshaker - Qs for you
BelizeWater Offline
Oh, sorry I didn't see your message earlier, The CEO left this AM for Belize. He is going down there with Jim Cavennough(I'm not sure of the spelling) to get him settled in so to speak. I mentioned you(didn't know your name so it was a little difficult:-)/your resort and possible interest in water. He said that he'd pass the info on to Jim. However, if you want to get a message to the CEO email him at jeffp@candw.ky (Jeff Parker), he carries his laptop. He said he'll be in Belize City on Monday, and I think Tuesdays he's going to Ambergris. He may have time to meet then but if not he'll hook you up with Jim...If you need to email me directly I'm tracy@candw.ky (Tracy Uggeri-Resident Engineer)

He did sound very interested, by the way and he's the decission maker.

So how far is your resort from the location of the proposed hotels?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Safecracker, 1 invisible), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,300 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.