Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Charlie that youtube piece was staggering. Thank you for sending.

I pick up garbage along the beach regularly. My unscientific observation shows that

the single most prevalant item is the plastic beverage bottle and or/the tops from them.

Other chronic bits that float up:
Shoes/shoe soles
glass bottles
shampoo and deodorant containers
Household stuff like tv,s, stands for fans, larger containers for gasoline, etc.
medical waste - hypo needles & the bottles in which the meds come

O
O
Diane has taken it upon herself and done an admirable job of keeping the beaches in the Mata Grande area clean of debris and garbage, making sure that it makes its way to its proper destination in town. All at her own expense. I've read a great deal about cleaning up San Pedro and applaud the efforts being made. A regular, reasonably priced garbage collection service in the north would go a long way to help the island as a whole,I'd sign on.

Presently the Town Council has committed to servicing these bins placed on the beach within "Town Proper", and along the roads from town to the South.

Bins placed on the beaches South of town will have to be maintained by the owner.

Across the bridge, both road and beach bins will have to be maintained by the owner, at least for now. We are working with the people that provide the trash pickup in the Tres Cocos area to see if those bins can be maintained.

Anyone interested in acquiring or donating a bin, please contact [email protected] as soon as possible.
Presently we are offering:

1) Whole barrel with no bamboo sides for $150
(These barrels only for only out-of-town or those that would like to add their on siding)

2) Half barrel with bamboo on 3 sides for $150

3) Half barrel with bamboo on 4 sides for $175

We appreciate your support,
Tom Vidrine
Chamber of Commerce

...has recycling made it out there yet?
Tree hugger, Cee

CeeSF #276883 04/15/08 02:20 PM
Not in Belize or AC.

dabunk, You mean all those empty bottles I bring back to the Belikin dristributor get thrown out? I think not!!

I stand corrected. In that sense certain glass bottles are reused. But as far as recyling of any other materials, glass, plastic, paper, etc, none. But you are correct, certain brands of beer and soda bottles are recycled/reused.

P
P
One thing to remember in terms of garbage on the beach is that Belize does not have a Coast Guard to enforce no dumping laws for cruise ships. Much of the garbage that lands on our beaches is from the ships that dump outside the reef once they start heading north. They can not dump in Guatemala or Mexico or else they will be fined so they make sure they hit those countires with empty garbage holds. Check out the beach in a easterly blow as the ships leave Belize. Garbage, especially plastics, float in through the cuts and on to the beach.You will notice that there are plastic bottles etc. that are not sold here. Yes we should clean up but there is also a legislative piece that must be addressed.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from the Chamber of Commerce
Dr. Wil Lala has completed 16 full barrel bins, and 33 half barrel bins with bamboo siding.

Dr. Will asked Tom to especially thank Renita & Cindy of Changes in Latitudes who not only sent one of their workers to help, but also told a guest about the project, Cindy Stanton of New York, who then volunteered to go give a hand to Dr. Lala. Also appreciation to all these people have given him a helping hand: Dana & Brenda LeTendre, Art Livingston, Erica Galbraith, C. J. Varela, Alex Canalex, Joe Novelo, Art Rinehart, Todd Beblow from Segway Belize, from Ecologic Divers, Charlie Mejia, Manuel Mendoza, Juan Kumel, and Marcos Alamina; Eric Garcia from the Blue Tang, and from Changes in Latitude, Joe Novelo. Dr. Wil also thanked Reef Village for the free barging of the bamboo to the island, and Todd Beblow of Segway for delivery.

Dr. Lala had also informed Tom that the barrels are being donated by Bowen & Bowen, and that as the barrels arrive, the remaining bins will be completed. Thank you Barry!

Full barrel bins are ready to be picked up at The Boatyard if anyone prefers this type. Half barrel bins will be ready as soon as enough barrels arrive.

Anyone wanting to buy one or donate a bin to any group, school, church, or a specific area, please let the Chamber know as soon as possible. Email: [email protected]

Marty #279293 05/04/08 04:44 PM
B
B
I promise that on our next trip down we'll do our share. Sometimes I picked up & carried plastic bottles at least a mile to find a receptacle when we were there in March, so this will make my tree-hugging recycling eco-friendly wife ecstatic!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.