Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#275586 - 04/07/08 12:37 AM Best way to get to Belize City/AC
Luckybucky Offline
I have never traveled to Belize before and I am reading that it is cheaper to fly into Cancun and take a bus down to Belize. Is there a tour company or bus that is better than the rest? Have any of you done this before and what was your experience. I would be coming from Minnesota so if anybody has any travel tips they can share I would much appreciate it. Thank you.
"the best is yet to come"

#275590 - 04/07/08 07:32 AM Re: Best way to get to Belize City/AC [Re: Luckybucky]
JeanH Offline
Yes, it's usually cheaper to fly to Cancun and take the bus. It's also lots more time consuming. About six hours by bus from Cancun to Chetumal. Then you either have to change buses, catch a cab or have a transfer arranged to get across the border. Then onto either catch a water taxi (I think it's only twice a day) and a short flight to San Pedro.

I've done it, it's fine, as long as you have the time. I sure wouldn't do it again unless I had more than two weeks to travel.

We just caught the Riviera bus at the Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen. You'll probably need to get to the other bus station to catch a bus to Chetumal. ADO is the first class bus company. Mayab (I think) has decent second class buses that make the trip.

#275597 - 04/07/08 09:10 AM Re: Best way to get to Belize City/AC [Re: JeanH]
colomojo Offline
We are doing this trip next month but only because we will be in Cozumel for a week before AC. It is less expensive but like Jean H said it takes up a lot of time. I guess it is up to personal priorities and whether money or time is tighter. Good luck.
Live Laugh Love

#276037 - 04/09/08 11:59 PM Re: Best way to get to Belize City/AC [Re: colomojo]
Luckybucky Offline
Thanks guys for the tips. I am pretty good about traveling but I am not so sure about my friend, I think we will be flying!
"the best is yet to come"

#277292 - 04/18/08 03:03 PM Re: Best way to get to Belize City/AC [Re: Luckybucky]
James Morgan Offline
Colomojo, just how much less expensive is it? and can you give particulars on buses, etc.? I may be doing a solo trip in late June/early July, and without my wife along comfort is less of an issue

#277299 - 04/18/08 04:36 PM Re: Best way to get to Belize City/AC [Re: James Morgan]
Cooper Offline
If you take the bus to Chetumal,the busses are great, even show movies. You can either Transfer to the Belize bus at the New Market, Nuevo Marcado..they leave every hour and cost $2.50, they will wait for you to go through the boarder, you can be let off at the Corozal Airstrip, and fly to San Pedro, 15 minutes vs another 4 or 5 hours. We just did this last week the airfare was $35 , Maya Island Air for the last few months have been giving 25% off on cash. and are likly to offer this until June...or take VIP transfer service from Chetumal to Corozal..$30...

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.