Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#275357 04/03/08 09:00 PM
J
jalex Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Are any of the "motels" completely air conditioned? As opposed to just one bedroom? What about restaurants, are they air conditioned?
Are you able to rent chairs to sit on the beach?
What about "floats" or "rafts" to float on, are they available to buy when you get there?
Anything, any tips that anyone would like to pass on to me for my trip there is greatly appreciated. As I've said before, apprehensive about the heat. I live on the Gulf Coast but never been quite so far from home or near the Equator and really worried about sun burns and then no air conditioning to cool off in at night when sleeping!

T
T
You need to make sure that the room you rent has A/C in it and you will sleep fine. There is usually a nice breeze coming in off the water and if you're in the shade, you should be very comfortable, even during the day.

Most restaurants have open walls so A/C would be silly.

I didn't see any chair rentals but some of the hotels have sitting areas either in their garden areas or on their dock, if they have one. I did not see floats or rafts.

It sounds like you need to make sure you're renting the right accomodations so that they have what you need to be comfortable. Make sure you ask all the questions when you book your room.

jalex,

Alot depends on when you are going. We went in April and while it can get hot during the day, sitting under the palm trees is very comfortable. The sea breeze is so soothing!

We had a villa with only a wall unit in the bedroom and found that instead of leaving the door open for the breezes during the day, it was better to close up the villa and let the A/C keep the humidity low. Then, it was comfortable enough for sleeping at night.

If you can handle Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, you'll be fine. Sunscreen is a must...a hat and light cover up wouldn't hurt either. I also ease into a "base tan" before I go to prevent burns. If you go snorkeling, bring an old t-shirt to put over your swimsuit. Your back and shoulders can burn quickly in one 1/2 day trip in these clear reflective waters!

Relax, with good preparation,you are gonna love it.

C
C
Jalex

I am from Texas and like most am addicted to A/C when it's hot. My first trip to Caye Caulker was in August. It did take some adjusting. We had a three bedroom house with window units in two of the bedrooms. During the day try and leave the units on low to cut down the humidity. You will be out and about, don't overdress. Take shorts, tshits, and flip flops, won't need much else.

The restaurants have no air con, but most are near the beach and breeze. You will adjust within a couple days hopefully. The other trips I have taken were earlier in the year and never had a problem with sleeping. Make sure you have at last one A/C unit though. There is plenty of shade on the beach with palm trees if you need it. You will have fun, just keep your expectations simple. It's a very unique place and is hard to beat!

J
jalex Offline OP
OP Offline
J
staying in a cabana with a/c in the bedroom. Unfortunately, we jumped the gun and booked before we knew a whole lot - for fear there would not be something when we found out all we needed to know.
I've decided it's going to be fun. At least my boss won't be able to contact me! I assume my cell phone will not work on C C. It would in Belize City, but I don't think so on the Island. Do you know if they have cell telephones you can rent at the airport to use just during your stay? I have an elderly Mom back home & I want to be able to talk with her daily to be sure she's OK. Thanks for your help.
Oh, the electricity - does it use the same type as in the USA or like they have in Europe?

You can rent a cell at the airport, 5 US per day plus phone cards. current is the same as in the US, same plugs. If your cell works in Belize City it will work on the island.

J
jalex Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Great - thanks! I'm all set then!

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a cell rather than using hers with international charges?

I don't know about CC but AC had internet shops with phone service that I use (I have an ill father) for about two to three dollars each time.

Have a great time you will love it!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day