Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
How safe is it for a group of 18-19 year olds (mixed male and female) to travel to Ambergris Caye, stay in San Pedro, alone (but very well prepared by their respective families after several group meetings and discussions about safety)? Is there good police security for tourists? Is it dangerous to be at the clubs late at night?

Are there poison spiders or snakes that they have to contend with? Do they need to be wary of crocodiles on the inland lagoon side?

Since June is start of rainy season how bad does it get? We were there in February and had about 3 days of off and on rain.

Concerned parents

JZB Offline
your group should be fine! Just tell them they should stay in a group for maximum safety, especially after leaving a club at 3:00am!

There are no poisonous snakes on the island. We do have scorpions and a variety of spiders but nothing they really need to worry about unless they are staying WAY out of town in very rustic conditions. Crocodiles are around, no swimming in the lagoon at 3:00am after leaving the club! Chances are, they won't even see a croc.

Might see some passing rain showers in June. Nothing a 18 or 19 year old will care about.

I'm sure your kids will be fine! If you are very worried, have them rent a cell phone when they get here so they, and you, can keep in touch.

On the subject of scorpions...

We are also visiting in June for the 1st time, and getting very excited. We have seen scorpions on visits to Arizona, and British Virgin Islands. The one we saw in BVI was on the leg of the dining table, which was a little concerning. We asked our caretaker, who lived there all her life (and had small 2 kids), what we should do if somebody got stung, and she really didn't know. She said 'local knowledge' says to boil it and eat it (!!), but beyond that, she didn't know. The fact that she wasn't overly concerned, having grown up with them, was somewhat comforting, but...

So, what should one do if they do get stung, other than not panic.

Thanks!

Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
I've been there three times in the last three years and have never seen a scorpion. But the general treatment for a scorpion sting would be the same as a wasp sting: aspirin or acetaminophen for the pain, wash the site well and apply cold compresses to reduce the swelling.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
We have been there 4 different times and we have never seen anything!! Not even a croc!! The worst thing I have ever seen there was a VERY large bat!!! (Lg to me!!!)

As far as safety goes we have been to several different islands and I must say I have never felt uncomfortable or in any danger, as a matter of fact the people are the best!!!

Originally Posted by KC Jayhawk
aspirin or acetaminophen for the pain, wash the site well and apply cold compresses to reduce the swelling.

Interestingly enough, this was the exact same treatment used by KC on his head last tuesday morning after the Jayhawks win in the tournament on monday night!

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
That is truer than you know, Pug!! eek

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
C
C
Use a penny on a sting! Something about it (I think it is the copper) pulls the sting out. Place the penny directly on the sting area and hold it there for 10 minutes or so (I really can't remember how long) I was stung by a wasp last summer and did this - it really worked!

As for safety, I have traveled to a lot of different Caribbean destinations and I think SP is very safe. Your 18/19 year olds will be fine - especially if you've taught them how to handle themselves and behave. 3 biggest suggestions IMO is always lock your room, keep valuables out of sight and never go alone. Trust in yourself that you have taught them right and trust them that they will make the right decisions. I never felt uncomfortable in SP.

Live Laugh Love
S
S
Where are you gonna find a copper penny? Ours are made of aluminum.

C
C
There has to be American pennies around, if not, I will bring you a few rolls. wink

Live Laugh Love
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.