Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#277484 - 04/20/08 07:57 PM Wood Permit
flip flop Offline
Okay - I've read plenty of how you need a wood permit to bring/ship stuff into Belize, but I haven't applied for one yet.

Question....I have a chance to buy a beautiful wood daybed tonight (here in California) at a fantastic price. I mean it's disgustingly cheap.

How hard is it to get the permit? Should I risk buying the daybed?

#277492 - 04/20/08 08:12 PM Re: Wood Permit [Re: SP Daily]
flip flop Offline

Even if it's double what I paid for it, it's still a great deal.

The question is, should I wait to get an approved wood permit?

#277496 - 04/20/08 08:25 PM Re: Wood Permit [Re: SP Daily]
flip flop Offline
Thank you!

#277502 - 04/20/08 08:41 PM Re: Wood Permit [Re: flip flop]
dabunk Offline
Just make sure he is aware of it, and gets the proper paperwork.

#277510 - 04/20/08 09:31 PM Re: Wood Permit [Re: dabunk]
Cooper Offline
just curious as I used to mail alot of wood frames from the States to Belize..Is your bed painted, because if it is you dont need a permit, but it probably isnt, shame to paint over quality wood..I would spray paint my frames so I could bring them in, then do the more creative stuff when I got back here...

#277512 - 04/20/08 09:39 PM Re: Wood Permit [Re: Cooper]
flip flop Offline
No - not painted. Darn! What a good idea, though. Hmmmm.....

I actually contacted 3 different furniture people in Belize to try and duplicate it or at least get close.

They were all triple the price. Besides that, I can see the finished product here and not get so uptight with the "big reveal."

#277531 - 04/20/08 10:57 PM Re: Wood Permit [Re: flip flop]
ScubaLdy Offline
Have you considered taking pictures of it, drafting it out with all the dimensions then contracting to have it made here?
My cabinet maker made a canopy bed for me out of the most amazing hardwoods. I gave him the picture in the Pottery Barn Catalog. There is sold for US $1,495.00 - plus shipping.
He can make them for BZ $1,200 and still make a profit. I have a condo full of the most amazing furniture he has built for me. All custom designed and in woods of my choice. BTW - there are a lot of hardwoods here that I like a whole lot better than mahogany.
Just a thought.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#277620 - 04/21/08 03:14 PM Re: Wood Permit [Re: ScubaLdy]
flip flop Offline
Thanks, Harriette...

I actually sent pictures directly from the Pottery Barn online catalog (very nice, but very pricey).

Maybe I should have tried your guy? Care to share?

#277639 - 04/21/08 05:25 PM Re: Wood Permit [Re: flip flop]
ScubaLdy Offline
Hi Flip
I just took some pictures of the bed Rudy made for me and posted them under the photo section. Rudy has a cabinet shop and a fellow is setting up a web page for him. I'll get the info and post it.
The head & foot have some rosewood, santa maria and Ican't remember the other. The posts are ziracote or sappadilla - I get the two mixed up. Anyway - they are deep red.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (ftimmy, Marty, 2 invisible), 85 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,696 Topics
461,205 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.