Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
030.JPG
Eagle Ray
Image Details
Poster chunkyruth Offline
Posted 04/21/08 12:58 AM
Description
Anyone else finding the eagle rays less timid lately?
Dimensions 1200x900
Size 1.33 MB
UBBCode
Thumbnail
Medium
Full

Comments
#277489 - 04/21/08 01:03 AM Re: Eagle Ray [Re: chunkyruth]
seashell Offline
woohoo!! I'm jealous as can be! Where was this taken (dive site)?

#277520 - 04/21/08 03:17 AM Re: Eagle Ray [Re: seashell]
jenni sharp Offline
looks like Hol Chan

#277522 - 04/21/08 03:36 AM Re: Eagle Ray [Re: jenni sharp]
chunkyruth Offline
It was taken out at Tuffy Cut this afternoon...snorkeling. I've gotten some great pix of them lately. They don't seem nearly as timid as they usually do.

#277523 - 04/21/08 03:36 AM Re: Eagle Ray [Re: jenni sharp]
ScubaLdy Offline
Eagle Ray Canyon is just outside of the reef at Hol Chan and the Eagle Rays do cruise through on a fairly regular basis. Several years ago I was lucky enough to video a school of five or six out in the canyon and they made three swings past me. One actually did some aeobatics for my camera. I love these creatures.

#277537 - 04/21/08 04:10 AM Re: Eagle Ray [Re: ScubaLdy]
seashell Offline
Last time I was out at Eagle Ray Canyon, we had a flight of 5-6 come by us too. Unfortunately, viz that week was just terrible.

I'm with you, Harriette. I just love these creatures and will always remember the solitary dive out at Halfmoon Wall, where an eagle ray came along and swam with me (or was it let me swim with it) for a good 5 minutes. I've told this story before. smile

I got heck from the DM for not staying with the group. Naughty me . . . as if I'd ever let a chance like that go by, just to stay with the group.

#277623 - 04/21/08 08:27 PM Re: Eagle Ray [Re: seashell]
fuzzy_navel Offline
Just beautiful! I know this sounds silly but I never even knew these things existed until I was researching my last trip to Belize. From that moment on I was determined to see one in Belize and wouldn't you know it, I actually did! Only one though and visibility wasn't good that day but I saw it grin. Hopefully next trip I will get a chance to see more.

#277631 - 04/21/08 09:01 PM Re: Eagle Ray [Re: fuzzy_navel]
ScubaLdy Offline

The day I took the video of them was also murky. I call them the ‘squadron’ swam up behind me and as they ‘flew’ by I tried to keep up with the. Hahahahaha
On film it looks like they are just cruising. When I gave up, out of breath, they circled around and did it again – and again. The way they like to play and tease reminds me of Dolphins.
I need to get back in the water!

I only dive with an operator who knows and trusts me. S/he will take care of the group and leave me to fend for myself so I can take my time taking pictures. If they are out of sight when I bring my focus back from my subject I just head for the boat. Knowing your way around the reef is very important if you get into solo diving. It's very comforting to know the lay of the land under the sea.

#277646 - 04/21/08 11:33 PM Re: Eagle Ray [Re: ScubaLdy]
seashell Offline
My dive op knows me too. Really, all they want me to do is not get completely out of sight and particularly since we were on the wall, it made sense to me.

#280764 - 05/19/08 06:03 PM Re: Eagle Ray [Re: seashell]
Marty Offline
fantastic pic ROOTH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,029 Topics
462,231 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.