Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#278077 04/24/08 04:15 PM
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Sometimes things happen in San Pedro that just make me love the place a little bit more. Day to day stuff, nothing major or exciting. For example, today at one of the shops we use we observed the following.

Local drunk, who is well tolerated but often a nuisance causing trouble in shop. Lady shopkeeper smacks him from behind the counter and helper throws him out of the shop door with lady shopkeeper making her feelings known in Spanish. Local drunk, in a fit of pique, throws his lunch on the ground outside of the shop door, shouts and swears and starts staggering off. Next door neighbour comes out, grabs drunk, smacks him again and pushes him back towards the shop all the time shouting at him in Spanish and pointing to the mess. Clearly telling drunk that he must clean it up. Drunk sullenly mumbles that he has nothing to clean it with. Neighbour storms into bodega, storms out, throws broom and bucket at him. Drunk sweeps up his mess, looks sheepish and staggers off home.

It is amazing how the community deals with its own issues. Everyone got a few minutes of entertainment, no harm was done and there was no drama or police necessary.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

C
C
That must have been a sight! Good for the shopkeeper and neighbor!

Live Laugh Love
E
E
Why on earth would someone even post something like this ?

S
S
Why not, sounds like good community policing to me. And a change in attitude towards litter bugs.

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Indeed Simon. Some of us have a different perspective on daily life in San Pedro. We find delight and pleasure in the small day to day things that happen here. This was a window into the sort of thing that happens here all the time and provides an insight into true San Pedro culture.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Great story, Colly. Wish the shop owners here would do the same with the grafitti 'artists'! Would make a huge difference in our community.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
C.,

You ought to do a San Pedro version of Overheard in New York!

--Lan Sluder

Originally Posted by immissing
Why on earth would someone even post something like this ?

I found it to be a charming story myself...

Great story! Neighbors looking out for each other? Not in my neighborhood. Some of us "nexpatriates" who hope to live there some day like to hear about the local flavor of San Pedro. But it makes me miss it even more!

mikeywaz
big laugh. life is good.....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.