Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#278565 04/29/08 09:03 AM
OP Offline
I'm wondering if anyone knows this character that I ran into on my last trip to the island. We were eating at El Patio when this older thin genleman came up and started talking with us. He was funny and charming and just plain a riot.

His stories were about being stranded on Fiji during a war and eventually moving to Abergris because he missed the island life so much. He also wrote a book about his experiences and made sure to mention that his book couldn't be sold in the US stores because it had a toppless lady on the cover. I believe he said I could find the book at one of the stores down by the beach, maybe an art store? can't remember for sure.

I can't remember his name, nor the book title. Does anyone here know whom I'm talking about? I'd love to find him to get a few more stories out of him while I'm down in a couple weeks.

P
P
Sounds like the Gentleman that owns Casa Amour (sp?) just past Fidos South. A family member of his posts on here under the house name or similar, and you should be able to find something using the search feature.

Phil #278676 04/29/08 09:44 PM
C
C
it is the book titled "Kumshaw" written by Thom Kirkpatrick, unfortunately my grandfather recently passed away unexpectedly at his other home in Jacksonville, Florida last month, he would have been down in the island by now, and i know would have loved to meet you again, i cant recall how many times i would come home, and there would be complete strangers in the house. he would be telling them all his life's stories and about his books he has written, he truly enjoyed people, and AC.

Casa,
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I believe the above mentioned book is in the gift shop at the Victoria House Resort. It's now up to you to pass on all those great stories!
Pam

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself"
OP Offline
Truely sorry to hear about his passing.

Sounds like a delightful gentleman whose legacy will continue... he's off telling great stories in his new surroundings.
Much peace,
Cee

CeeSF #278750 04/30/08 02:45 PM
wonderful wonderful book. sorry to hear of his passing.

Marty #278764 04/30/08 03:51 PM
Casa, very sorry to hear about your grandfather. Prayers for you.

C
C
thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers, its been a long and difficult 6 weeks since his passing, my grandfather lived a long adventurous life, he watched Ambergris Caye grow from 450 people to now well over 16,000 people, he told me many stories about this island, and although the island has changed so much with new buildings growing, and development everywhere, he truly loved this island as much as he did the first day he stepped foot here.

Condolences on you and your family's loss Casa, it's never easy. Are you aware of a way his book is available to those of us who aren't on the island but once a year?

I've already told you more than I know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.