Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#278776 - 04/30/08 11:46 PM So you want to be a guidebook writer?
Tranquilo Traveler Offline
Research assistant wanted to help update popular Belize guidebook.

Preferred qualifications:

• journalism/writing/research experience
  • guidebook experience or published travel writing
  • familiarity with Belize
  • already living in Belize a big plus
  • highly organized and have laptop
  • insane, borderline-compulsive attention to detail

Guidebook work is mostly tedious, tiring, and thankless, with only brief flashes of glory, but it's also an excuse to travel and chance to make some cash. You will need to inspect scores of hotels, bus stations, water taxi terminals, restaurants, etc. Payment is per updated chapter, depends on size/complexity of region, and does not include expense account.

To apply, please send a resume, links to published works, and letter of intent to:

Josh Berman
jberman AT gmail DOT com

#278810 - 05/01/08 02:17 AM Re: So you want to be a guidebook writer? [Re: Tranquilo Traveler]
Cooper Offline
We travel through Belize continuously servicing our outlets, have been for 8 years now...recently been to all bus stations, ride the water taxi weekly..know alot of the Hotels, I really know the best for less places to eat and stay..but Im not ajornelest, not so much organised, dont rite much, and mi spellin aint so hot...be glad to help thow....I got a laptop, also a P.C plus have a fone....

#278815 - 05/01/08 02:55 AM Re: So you want to be a guidebook writer? [Re: Cooper]
You don't necessarily have to be a journalist. Organization and efficiency are key though, as there is quite a lot of ground and properties to cover.

#278817 - 05/01/08 03:12 AM Re: So you want to be a guidebook writer? [Re: Tranquilo Traveler]
Cooper Offline
Probably already covered them within the last 6 months..WE TRAVEL ALOT..in Belize, we live here..I have sat in Hotel rooms here and read guide books left in the rooms..and wonder where they get their info...its all wrong....I like the Toucan Trail Books...seems a journalist could hook up with a person living in Belize and do reviews in a question and answer format..I am sure you could find another 10 people like me and do a question and answer and come up with better info than one persons perspective of the country.

#278866 - 05/01/08 06:08 PM Re: So you want to be a guidebook writer? [Re: Cooper]
Harvey Offline
Being a published author and international business administrator, I will say one thing. Cooper has come up with an escellent answer for compiling the data you are requiring to update or write your travel guide. Save a lot of time, effort and finance. Good thinking Cooper!

#278921 - 05/01/08 10:49 PM Re: So you want to be a guidebook writer? [Re: Harvey]
I welcome all applications. Thank you for your interest!

#279083 - 05/02/08 09:01 PM Re: So you want to be a guidebook writer? [Re: Tranquilo Traveler]
I agree that interviewing key local experts should be part of every guidebook writer's plan when updating a book; of course, it should be done in addition to visiting every single property listed in the book. I always buy beers for knowledgeable expats, Peace Corps Volunteers, and local tourism folks who are willing to help me check my facts--and add to--my own research.

#279132 - 05/03/08 05:33 AM Re: So you want to be a guidebook writer? [Re: Tranquilo Traveler]
Cooper Offline
The people you speak of are why some guide books are trash...HELLO.. Peace corp volunteers,,are great...they are being terminated from Belize this year,,due to the fact that Belize is now considered a vacationland..no help needed here???????????? I know them, they are great,, being here helps them as well as us..but they do not travel..Local tourism folks????????????? You need the gringos living here..that have lived here for years.. that eat beans and rice,,,take the bus..spend some money..talk the language,,,or you do not HAVE A VALID PUBLICATION...................

#279171 - 05/03/08 05:27 PM Re: So you want to be a guidebook writer? [Re: Cooper]
Originally Posted By: Cooper
The people you speak of are why some guide books are trash

I was specifically referring to knowledgeable expats like yourself, so not sure what the problem is.

Peace corp volunteers,,are great...but they do not travel

This is a joke, right? It's a rare long-term volunteer (Peace Corps, VSO, or other) that has not thoroughly explored his or her host country, taking advantage of the time, language skills, and contacts. In addition, some volunteers work on community-based, small-scale tourism efforts which I can share with my readers. (An example is the artists/tour-guide cooperative in Indian Church.) They also live on small budgets, so always know about cheap places to eat and public transportation -- In short, a goldmine of info for the budget traveler who reads my books.

Local tourism folks?????????????

Yes, absolutely. Although some government tourism folks are useless, others are very helpful; I'm also talking about non-government Belizeans in the tourism industry (1 in 4 Belizeans, right?) -- water taxi drivers, hotel owners, local business group leaders.

All of these people need to be interviewed to add to the legwork and site inspections that I do myself -- or hire someone to do.

#279203 - 05/04/08 12:00 AM Re: So you want to be a guidebook writer? [Re: Tranquilo Traveler]
Pedro1 Offline
I live here -personally hate rice and beans
do not travel by bus but know how to do so
have known Peace Corps volunteers who stayed for a year on AC-
rarley venturing to BZ. City
I speak the national language of Belize -ENGLISH
I spend a lot of money in BZ
Like this paticular guide book
Cooper appears to think that he is the resident living expert on BZ.-why because he sells odd art in Caye caulker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (reaper), 59 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,363 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.