Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#279261 - 05/04/08 04:49 PM Heartworm pills
smiles Offline
Hello, My Names is Nicky and will be moving to the North of SP on tues, excited I must say! I have two wonderful Dogs, and was wondering if any of you lovely people who have Dogs, if so would you suggest putting my Dogs on Heartworm pills, they do carry side effects!! Thanks Nicky (really excited)

#279263 - 05/04/08 05:06 PM Re: Heartworm pills [Re: smiles]
dabunk Offline
Most people in Belize use injections of Ivermectin. It is much cheaper here than pills. But if you are not comfortable doing your own, the pills are the way to go.

#279264 - 05/04/08 05:13 PM Re: Heartworm pills [Re: dabunk]
SP Daily Offline
Saga sells Heartgard which is for heartworm protection.

#279265 - 05/04/08 05:14 PM Re: Heartworm pills [Re: smiles]
Phil Offline
Welcome to san Pedro Nicky. Heartworm is an essential med for you dog. Visit the Vet once you've settled in for a full run down on do's and don'ts for your pets for their new life in San Pedro.

Side affects are minor things - your dog instanly liking to eat washed up rotten fish, rolling in aforementioned minging fish(this is a treat that will stay with you for a long time when you smell this for the first time), chasing cyclists, extended walkabouts, fur having an amazing capacity to hold inordinate amounts of sand, and then shed it instantly once inside the house. The list goes on but most of all you'll have very happy pooch's

#279266 - 05/04/08 05:15 PM Re: Heartworm pills [Re: Phil]
Phil Offline
Similar post time Jesse. To clarify Saga and the Vets are one in the same.

#279267 - 05/04/08 05:22 PM Re: Heartworm pills [Re: Phil]
dabunk Offline
Just to add though, Ivermectin is not good, may kill your dog, if he already has heartworm. Our Beagle already had heartworm before we got her to the vet. We can still use Ivermec, but in very low dosage.

#279269 - 05/04/08 05:28 PM Re: Heartworm pills [Re: dabunk]
smiles Offline
Thanks Dabunk, love that Dancing Baby. They both just had a checkup so I guess I should get them on it quickly.

#279272 - 05/04/08 07:06 PM Re: Heartworm pills [Re: smiles]
Teenah Offline
I work in a vet clinic. We always test the dogs for heartworm and once they've been deemed heartworm free, we give them the medicine. If you give a heartworm positive dog Ivermectin, the dog can die when the dead worms break loose from the heart. My friend and I brought home a potlicker on my last trip to San Pedro. He IS heartworm positive and we're getting ready to start treating them. Much better to be pro-active than reactive. The treatment for heartworm is VERY expensive. Good luck!

#279278 - 05/04/08 08:17 PM Re: Heartworm pills [Re: Teenah]
Cooper Offline
PHIL...are you for real...my dog has a inherited immune deficiency..he is a rescue dog and was just about dead when I got him with mange etc...he is on a dosage of a type of heart worm medicine but takes it 3 times a week,,he has been fine now for a few years..I give him other supplements etc to counter the liver damage etc the medicine might do...he is a big dog..Ridgback and rotweiler mix...HE LOVES SEAWEED!!! I have to put him on a leash when we pass it..whatever he is eating he just goes crazy for it..is it really a side effect of the medicine??? I took him off the meds for awhile to see what would happen and he started to get sick again so I put him back on about 6 months ago,,and sure enough thats about the time the whats in the seaweed to eat started...

#279287 - 05/04/08 09:18 PM Re: Heartworm pills [Re: Cooper]
dabunk Offline
Dogs with heartworm may die if given the normal dosage of Ivermectin. Our beagle was tested in Belize City when we had her nuetered and was positive for heartworm. The vet recommended we start her on Ivermectin, but on a low dosage. She has been fine for two years now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (FoFoFo), 27 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,051 Topics
462,279 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.