Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

S
S
A wonderful project!
This system depends on low humidity, arid climate to achieve high evaporation rates...might not work so well in Belize's humid climate.

OP Offline
I was thinking about practical applications though, like keeping Cal's beer cool when we go on picnics! It might be good enough for that.... haha

Maybe the sea breezes will aid in the evaporation rates.

Originally Posted by Jesse
A wonderful project!
This system depends on low humidity, arid climate to achieve high evaporation rates...might not work so well in Belize's humid climate.

I try to explain a "swamp cooler" that i have at the house here in vegas to friends in other parts of the world. does not work above 25% humidity

"But WHY's the rum gone?

www.wadethegringo.com
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
25% is very low humidity. Surely you mean more like 75%. In England milk was kept cool in pre-fridge days by standing it in a saucer of water, and then covering it with a bell-shaped unglazed earthenware pot that stood in the water. Evaporation did the job, in all weather conditions, so long as it was kept out of direct sun and the water wasn't allowed to run dry.

no, 25% will drop 100 degrees down to 80 degree....anything over just adds to the humidity and does not have a cooling effect

"But WHY's the rum gone?

www.wadethegringo.com
S
S

P
P
Wade,

When I saw Jesse's post I was going to post, well you just made Wade's point, but decided not to. Now that he has posted the chart, he still doesn't understand that we would not be comfortable at 85 (down from 100) with 40% humidity. Living in the low desert, probably 50% of the population uses swamp coolers until it hits about 25% humidity, so I totally get your post.

Jesse, you would have to experience evaporative cooler to know no matter what your chart shows, it doesn't fly. It is a little like the poster saying that no one bone fishes in SP because he read it somewhere. I don't even turn on the A/C until it is over 100 here in Palm Springs.

janice

S
S
So...whats yer point? That evap coolers don't work well in Belize? Right!

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I read that the mean annual humidity (which must mean relative humidity) in Belize is 83%.
http://www.belizenet.com/weather/climate.html
I was sure 25% was an extremely low value, and I was right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 328 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.