He is known as one of the best Belizean bakers in Belize City but what you may not know about seventy seven year old Zebedee Pitterson, the owner of Sunny Side Bakery on Racecourse Street, is that for thirteen years he has been quietly serving the less fortunate especially primary school children who go hungry during the day because they cannot afford to buy lunch. Today we caught up with Pitterson at one twenty East Collet Canal where he has been providing the free food from inside the Feed My Sheep Kitchen. Pitterson says he feeds about ninety children a week and ten seniors.

Zebedee Pitterson, Sunny & Tan Bakery
“I guess that when I was young, I does work hard and thing like that and I always had the mind to treat poor people good and that is what makes me do it. And I am a Christian and if you are a Christian you share what you have. I will you something, most of those men hustle and have money and when they are dead, ask them how much they could take with them. Instead of leaving a good name, because a good name is the best thing a person can leave in life, the Bible tells you so – a good name is very good. What will you do with the money? Take the money and you share it with the people who need, who are hungry and need it.

Plenty people are hungry and you have so much and don’t share? I am sorry. When school is over sometimes you see children around the school and they don’t have nothing to eat and so the teacher give the tickets to each of them, the poorest ones in the classes.”

Jacqueline Godwin,
You only do this three times per week?

Zebedee Pitterson,
“I can’t afford more. Three times a week is maybe $1200 a month out of my own pocket. So I can’t afford more than that because at least sometimes it is $200 each time or sometimes $250 when I have to buy gas and play electrical bill and pay water bill.”

Jacqueline Godwin,
And you prepare and cook the meals yourself?

Zebedee Pitterson,
“That’s right. I prepare and cook it my own self.”

Four primary schools are involved in the feeding programme.

Story at http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=11122

discussion with friends...

==================

After Hurricane Iris hit our village one of my friends feed and took care of her blind neighbor for close to six months. Here was a Mom with three kids, husband off messing with another girl and her just barely able to feed herself and kids yet she was kind enough to share the very limited amount of resources that she had.
I also found it astounding that the mans kids, some of whom lived in the states, never even thanked her for taking care of their father for them.
The kids lack of action spoke volumes about themselves.

=========================
the kids actions indeed spoke volumes but only about themselves and how they were brought up. The good samaritan's actions also spoke volumes about her character and should be commended. Thank GOD we still have some good people on this earth though they seem harder and harder to find. As for Zebidee Pitterson, he is a man with a big heart and he did not just get that way. When we were growing up things were very tough and there were many of us. Pitterson gave us a loaf of bread everyday religeously and never had any attitude with his kindness. I used to be the one to go pick up the bread everyday and every worker knew that the bread was to be given. I never had to sit around and wait and seem to shula. Were it not for Sonny, many a days the tea would have gone down lonely as usually it was just tea and a couple slices of bread. Nothing like a nice hot loaf of Sonny and Tan bread. I also like the Hood's bread with the titties on each end. Interestingly enough, the Lyons who also had a bakery and who were close relatives and back then fairly well off, never offer the same gesture. Just goes to show. Sonny Pitterson is still going strong and the Lyons ain't nothing but history. A rich history that is too. They had a lemonade factory, bee hives, a leather tannery, lots of property including some prime property on Albert Street. I believe it was right beside Odette's or the building that housed Odette's. They had a monopoly on the funeral business and I can still remember the big colorful hearse that was dragged by a horse by the name of Red Knight. They had crazy money but were misers. My grandmother was actually sisters to the matriarh of the Lyons family. They were originally Coyes. Same Coyes who now run the funeral service which was probably inherited from the Lyons. Much history there.

--------------------------------

I believe two of the Lyons brothers went to school with us at Holy Redeemer. I just can't remember their names right now.

Sonny and Tan, Lyons and Hoods bakeries were all good. But if you grew up in that time, you have to know that the best bread in all of Belize was not sold in any of those bakeries. No, if you wanted the best bread, you had to line up at 5 o'clock every morning in front of jail. That's right folks. The best bread in Belize was jail bread.