Minister says recent raids are not politically motivated
Since Perdomo took over as Minister, the Police Department has engaged in several questionable heavy handed raids for which apologies were later issued by the Commissioner. More recently, we’ve seen the arrest of Perdomo's political adversary, Joe Coye, on the basis of what can only be called a bizarre complaint, and this week the five hour commando style operation at the Shoman residence on the Northern Highway which yielded next to nothing. While some quarters have expressed concern over what appears to be politically inspired law enforcement, the Minister insists that the two incidents are straightforward police work and had no input from his office. We asked him first about the raid on Jose Shoman.

Carlos Perdomo, Minister of National Security
“They issue their own operational orders.”

Marion Ali
“You said the Minister? “

Carlos Perdomo
“No, not the Minister, the police.”

Marion Ali
“So you didn’t approve the raid?”

Carlos Perdomo
“The Minister never really approves raids. The Commissioner of Police and his operation chief they do that.”

Marion Ali
“Did you know of it?”

Carlos Perdomo
“I knew about it once it was underway, yes.”

Marion Ali
“And how about the recent arrest of your political adversary, the former Minister, Joe Coye?”

Carlos Perdomo
“Well again, it was a police investigation. There was a citizen that made a complaint of fraud, fraudulent activities. The police investigated, they liaised with the Solicitor General, they discussed it with the D.P.P. and the police decided that there was enough evidence to arrest Mr. Coye and take him to court.”

Marion Ali
“So you never had any part in these last two incidents?”

Carlos Perdomo
“No, as I said it is the police that is driven with either a complaint, like in the case of Mr. Coye or intelligence that is gathered.”

Marion Ali
“Some people believe that these last two incidents, the raid at the Shoman’s and the arrest of the former Minister Coye had some input on your part and refer to it as merely witch-hunting.”

Carlos Perdomo
“I hate that they would think like that. I think that what it is showing is that we are now going to begin now to make everybody equal under the law. So, there’s no political victimisation there. It just happens that Mr. Coye, by coincidence, was running in Caribbean Shores but there’s no truth to political witch-hunting. Of course, the opposition will always say that but I think what it is showing is that this government is going to make sure that everybody is equal under the law.”

Marion Ali
“Are we to understand that there will be more raids at homes of big supporters of the former government?”

Carlos Perdomo
“Well I don’t have any such information. As I said, the police do their work. If it so happens that the person committing the crime is some official in a political party that will be the case; they will get raided. If it’s a U.D.P. official they will get raided, if it’s a P.U.P., but we need to straighten up things in the city.”