Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Nova Offline OP
OP Offline

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
hmmm, thanks nuts guess I can send a donation directly to him?
My kinda man!

L
L
Sheriff Joe is in my state. Some think he is good, but most think he is bad. He is all about publicity, not that I think prisoners should be treated like they are at a spa. He is very inhumane and unjust in his actions. He is very wrong in many of his tactics and ways the he runs things. At this point he would rather spend the tax payers money on catching landscapers and corn vendors than arresting people with felony warrants and catching rapists and people that commit murder.

Sheriff Joe has been responsible for civil suits that have cost Maricopa County $46 millon...his employees have taken trips to Honduras, financed by the tax payers, and he has arrested newspaper reporters who have written disparaging articles about him and his questionable practices. Did I mention that he has, in his portfolio, about $10 million in real estate investments that no one can figure out how he can afford? He is also currently being investigated and audited by the FBI regarding his misappropriation of tax dollars.

Be careful who you choose as heroes. This man is very corrupt, and in the case, the ends do not justify the means

Last edited by Luvinlife; 05/16/08 09:55 PM.
Luvinlife, some how the voters of Maricopa County keep reelecting him as their Sheriff, so their are many who disagree with you. I life in Yavapai County and I hear many people support his "no BS" law enforcement approach. The pink under wear, pink jump suits, tent city and chain gangs I agree with. There are no spa's in his jail. You really don't want to go there. The landscapers and corn vendors you speak of, are they the illegal's he is arresting that is getting all the press coverage? He claims he is enforceing the law the Fed's can't or won't. A major ongoing problem with no easy answer that will generate a whole other debate.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Oh yeah, he's a real peach. Even without considering his proven-in-court civil rights violations, his inhumane treatment of those placed in his care, and his shady - sometimes downright illegal - political tactics, he has cost the citizens of his county millions of dollars. Of note is that the tent-city, chain-gang tactics he has employed, which have resulted in countless injuries and in at least one case the death of inmates, have not reduced recidivism in his county by any measurable percentage. He spent about $10,000 of taxpayer funds to underwrite a study on recedivism by uva and when it didn't back up his false claims, he just shrugged and said they were wrong. By the way, his initial justification for the tent city was jail overcrowding, which didn't exist until he shut down a good portion of one of the county jail facilities.
In terms of his treatment of other human beings, he has denied inmates adequate medical care and refused to properly quarantine contageous inmates, those exposing other inmates to infectuous desease, ultimately resulting in drastically increased expenditures by the county for medical care of affected inmates which would have otherwise been unnecessary. He has required inmates to remain in the 117 degree Arizona heat in his tent city without adequate food and water, also resulting in the need for medical care. Guards working under him have been found guilty of assaults on inmates, carried out either at his instruction or with his approval.
So even if you're one of those that think treating those who have been accused of committing criminal acts (and in county jails almost all are accused but not yet found guilty, as once proven guilty the vast majority of inmates are moved to state prisons) in such a sub-human manner is permissible, seems you'd want to object to the fiscal impacts, especially with nothing to show for it in terms of a safer community.

And just because the majority votes for it doesn't make it right.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
maybe they will not commit any more crimes

you're missing the point, Peter. Many of those in jail haven't been convicted of crimes. and for those who have been convicted there's no showing of deterrance.

Here's a nice recap of some of his work:

http://justdreadful.com/?p=270

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
C
C
That is a dreadful and saddening article

Live Laugh Love
Nova Offline OP
OP Offline
Just a thought...do ya think the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan suffering in 117 degree heat have much sympathy for the inmates? At least the inmates can strip down and cool off a bit. Not so for the ladies and gents wearing full battle gear, serving their country (and living in tents as well).

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
E
E
Or sleeping in a mortor hole

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 288 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.