Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#280924 - 05/20/08 01:55 PM Ka'ana in Cayo
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
I just got back from a fabulous two day jaunt to the Cayo District, my old hometown.

If in Cayo, you must check out Ka'ana. Amazing, a real oasis of comfort and tranquility in the foothills of the Maya Mountains.

Thanks Ian and Eva.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#281001 - 05/20/08 09:33 PM Re: Ka'ana in Cayo [Re: Sir Isaac Newton]
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Nice place, though for a roadside hotel way overpriced!

Like US$400 plus 19% tax and service for a casita double room in-season, and US$20 per person plus 10% tax and 15 to 20% tip for a standard breakfast.

I also stayed there in its previous incarnation when it was a tourist-class hotel focusing on tour groups from Guatemala, before it went bankrupt.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#281061 - 05/21/08 11:02 AM Re: Ka'ana in Cayo [Re: Lan Sluder/Belize First]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
So worth it though! Manolo Castillo, E.C., from the Coppola resorts presents some amazing food, some of the best I've enjoyed in Belize recently. The wine cellar is well stocked and the spa is very unique.

I take it you haven't stayed there Lan, hence you negative unwarranted reply.

A high end boutique hotel is finally in Cayo. I believe a Ka'ana Placencia is also in the works.

#281067 - 05/21/08 11:26 AM Re: Ka'ana in Cayo [Re: Sir Isaac Newton]
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Yes, I did stay there, in February.

I also had stayed there earlier, a few years ago, when it was Mayaland Villas.

As it happened, I paid a press rate for the room but full rate for meals.

For San Ignacio, I still think it's overpriced. With tax and tip, close to US$500 per night for room only? For a unique, top tier jungle lodge or upscale beach resort, I can see those kinds of rates, but not for a roadside hotel.

At US$175 a night, it would be great, and a heck of a lot busier.

The BNE folks did a nice job renovating and upgrading the property, though.

What I can't figure out, and what the manager at the time couldn't explain, was why the swimming pool there, 75 miles from the sea, is salt water!

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First

#281191 - 05/22/08 11:00 AM Re: Ka'ana in Cayo [Re: Lan Sluder/Belize First]
Barbara K Offline
I haven't stayed there yet but will in July. But a client stayed there and had this to say:

Stayed a couple of days longer and went up to Ka' Naa west of San Ingicio, stayed for two days and visited ruins. Best hotel I stayed in (Victoria House nice but room much smaller). This one was redone by the Irish guys who backed the oil drilling and is at least 4 star. ReOpened in April 07. Met them all so it was fun. It is very neat with on premises spa but only 15 rooms/buildings. Irish guys about ready to announce multiyear 5 star hotel and villas in Placencia. Met construction mgt firm while at Ka'Naa also.

#281196 - 05/22/08 11:18 AM Re: Ka'ana in Cayo [Re: Barbara K]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
I'm glad the rates are high then. Less people, more money.

#281233 - 05/22/08 05:46 PM Re: Ka'ana in Cayo [Re: Sir Isaac Newton]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
I really haven't let comments on this board irritate me much anymore, so forgive me, but Lan you really should feel ashamed of yourself, especially if you purport to be an objective "travel writer".

Clearly any sensible adult can differentiate between a roadside hotel (posted twice for emphasis) and a boutique resort. So I'm not even going to go there. ??

The owners of Ka'ana and the development team have worked really hard to transform this property into something very special. Your condescending remarks, which are usually ignored by most, are a bit upsetting and should be reworded.

Chris Burkey SIN

#281273 - 05/23/08 01:26 AM Re: Ka'ana in Cayo [Re: Sir Isaac Newton]
Pedro1 Offline
Totally overpriced and empty-expensive bar and average food -other places in cayo far better value-although imo none of the food in any of the resorts there is that good

#281325 - 05/23/08 12:01 PM Re: Ka'ana in Cayo [Re: Pedro1]
JZB Offline
We stayed there last year. Rooms are beautiful, staff is very nice. But from our room all we could see and hear was the highway. Lost some of its charm there for us. Hopefully they will have some serious landscaping in place to block out the road.

#281327 - 05/23/08 12:07 PM Re: Ka'ana in Cayo [Re: JZB]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Now I'm definitely staying there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 74 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.