Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
my boyfriend is looking for people to play RPGs with.
dungeons and dragons type of stuff.

any one do that here in san pedro?

muchas gracias

E
E
Dont know about SP, but there are plenty of RPGs in Iraq

Your **boyfriend** is looking for someone with whom to play dungeons and dragons? that sentence just looks doesn't sound right.

It's certainly not something I would expect to hear from a woman... from an orc or halfling maybe.

Last edited by deadserious; 05/20/08 08:04 PM.
OP Offline
yeah, this is just about what i expected.
thanks guys

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Other than the military connection what is "RPG"? Never heard of it.

OP Offline
role playing game. but that sounds potentially kinky, and they're not. it's usually dorky kids sitting around eating cheetos and rolling 20 sided dice.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Does it involve intelligence and strategy, or is it basically chance and guessing? Back in pre-historic times, when I should have been studying, I used to like playing wargames. I don't mean running around with toy guns - these were board games of great complexity. The closest standard equivalent is GO.

OP Offline
supposedly it involves intelligence and strategy, but i couldn't swear to that myself. i don't have much experience playing them.
they're usually theoretical worlds (after a nuclear war, or it's the middle ages, or you're a vampire), sometimes you create them, sometimes they're set up in a package to buy. you have rules. you have skill sets, certain abilities and powers.
the Live Action Role Playing games (LARP) are set up the same way, but instead of fate being a dodecahedron, you use rock-paper-scissors.

go?
you mean the game that looks like othello?

yeah, i just looked up wargames on wikipedia, and they look very similar to the RPGs with which i'm familiar.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I don't know about Othello (other than in the Shakespeare context I don't know what that is either), but GO is an ancient Chinese game played on a square board with many more cells (squares) than a standard chess or draughts (checkers) board. Checking Wikipedia I see it's 19*19. Very complex game involving great strategy. I only ever played it once, and that was an incomplete game that taught me very little. I don't know if anyone's ever produced a travel version of the game, but that would be ideal for here.

The wargames I used to play, principally one just called The Wargame and developed by university academics in Britain in the '60s, was also a complex game that could easily run for 60+ hours. Being university students we of course played it without a break. The only people I knew to play it were mathematicians.

One of the best strategy board games of recent times IMHO is Settlers of Catan. Like Risk on steroids...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlers_of_Catan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.