Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#281535 05/26/08 09:27 AM
OP Offline
French sky-diver plans free fall to Earth

(CNN) -- A French sky-diver was Monday preparing for a quest to break four world records in one by making a 40-kilometre free fall jump from the Earth's stratosphere.

Michel Fournier tests his equipment a few days before his attempt to break four world records.

Michel Fournier, 64, will make a two-hour journey in a helium-powered balloon pod up to the very void of space -- and then throw himself into the abyss at 40,000 meters, (131,000 feet) wearing a pressurized suit capable of withstanding extreme temperatures of minus 100 degrees Celsius (minus 148 Fahrenheit).

The plunge will take a mere 15 minutes, during which he will break through the sound barrier.

If he succeeds, Fournier will actually break four world records: for fastest free fall, longest free fall, highest jump, and highest altitude reached by a man in a balloon. Watch report on Michel Fournier's free fall quest �

As he prepared to embark on the trip, Fournier began breathing the compressed oxygen that he needs to acclimatize his body to the pressure as he rises to four times the altitude at which a commercial airliner normally flies.

Some have, however, questioned how safe the mission really is. At around 12,000 meters (40,000 feet) there is not enough oxygen to breathe and he could suffer a fatal blood clot.

At 19 kilometers up, if his pressure suit fail, his blood could begin to boil because of the air pressure, according to scientists who have been advising him on his mission. Should his body become exposed, he would lose consciousness and suffer brain damage within minutes.

Fournier's team said he was "calm, cool and collected" in advance of the attempt which was initially set for 6 a.m. ET Monday but was later pushed back to 10 a.m. ET because of strong winds.

Fournier says he hopes to collect data that will help astronauts and others survive at high altitudes.

The former French paratrooper and his team have been putting the final finishing touches to the mission dubbed "Le Grand Saut" (The Big Jump) since Friday in the small city of North Battleford, Saskatchewan.

"This project is a great scientific and human challenge," said Fournier. "This is my baby, my dream. I just want to realize my dream."

He has spent two decades and nearly $20 million in his quest to send him to the heavens in a stratospheric balloon. According to his Web site, Fournier sold virtually all his possessions to finance the launch of this project.

This is not the first time he has made a high-altitude jump. He has more than 8,600 jumps to his name and holds the French record for the highest parachute jump at 12,000 meters (40,000 feet).

His latest skydiving attempt comes after two unsuccessful jumps in 2002 and 2003. Strong winds tore his balloon the last time, but he bought a new one and the massive balloon is stronger this time around, reinforced with three layers.

In 2000, France refused to give permission for the jump on its territory, deeming it too risky.

A year later, Canadian government granted him permission to launch from the vast plains of Saskatchewan, which has a very low population.

Pushed back to 5AM Tuesday,......

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
He missed the flt takeoff. I wonder if TSA had anything to do with it?? smile

Never Use money to measure wealth

Remind me to never tandem with him.......

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
E
E
That wouldn't be the dumbest thang you ever did !

C
C
his balloon took off without him..lol

OP Offline
Jump record fails to take flight

The helium balloon drifted away

A French skydiver's attempt to break the world free fall record failed to get off the ground when his balloon lifted off without him on board.

Michel Fournier, 64, hoped to break four world records by free falling 40,000m (25 miles) from a balloon in Saskatchewan, western Canada.

He hoped to bring back data vital for astronauts and those at high altitudes.

But his helium balloon detached from its capsule as it was being inflated, and drifted away into the sky.

Mr Fournier was hoping to break the record for the fastest and longest free fall, the highest parachute jump and the highest balloon flight.

He was planning to jump from a point three-times higher than a commercial jetliner flies.

It is not the first time Michel Fournier has had to abandon his record attempt

A former paratrooper, he originally planned to make the jump in France, but the government refused him permission, saying it was too dangerous.

The fall was expected to last around 15 minutes, and Mr Fournier planned to deploy his parachute about 6,000m above ground.

He has made two unsuccessful attempts before, in 2002 and 2003.

Mr Fournier was to wear a pressurised suit to protect him from the extreme low pressure and temperatures down to -100C. Sophisticated camera equipment was supposed to record key moments of the jump, particularly when he broke the sound barrier at 35,000m.

His parachute was set to open automatically if he lost consciousness during the jump - though there was no facility to eject from the balloon during the ascent.

The current altitude record for a parachute jump is held by Colonel Joe Kittinger of the US Air Force. In 1960 he jumped from 31,333 metres (102,800 feet).

Wow! And I read the balloon cost almost $400,000 and can't be reused because they're so delicate and he's already gone through what 2 or 3??? Ouch!

Every time he attemps the jump something goes wrong. He really just wants the publicity. He doesn't even have a fully pressurized suit. Above 65,000ft your blood starts to boil with released nitrogen. He gets scoffed at by the skydive community, lots.

Last edited by reaper; 05/27/08 02:56 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.