Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#282426 06/02/08 05:04 PM
P
peterh Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi to everyone!.......from Peter in Toronto Canada. So this is for all you lucky people that presently live in paradise ( AC ) When searching the internet you get all these stories about how cheap it is to live in Belize ( mainland ? ) and how expensive it is to live on AC? So let's hear from you that live on AC and please tell us what it's really like.

Peter

S
S
Expensive.

S
S
Depends on your lifestyle. I don't find Ambergris Caye to be prohibitive but I live simply and try to buy Belize-produced food products an much as possible. I drive an electric cart so don't purchase any gasoline. I cook at home most of the time and visit low cost local-type restaurants. I don't use air conditioning but have fans going much of the time.
It's up to you...

P
peterh Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi Simon!...hey I read a post on Trip Advisor from someone who used your services and highly recommended you!

P
peterh Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi Jesse, I'm sure if you want to live like you do in North America it will be expensive. But I figure if you live like the locals do, it can't be that expensive

S
S
The generally used standard is that you need $2000US per month to live comfortably.

P
peterh Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi Simon, yes I read that, not a problem as my income is just over twice that amount.

I agree with Jesse
I don't smoke or drink alcohol and it looks to me like those who do spend about half their income on that - some even more.
The things that cost a lot for me is eating out and diving. So I limit those - mostly to when I have guests who are usually generous. I came from California before the housing collapse so find the cost of buying land here very affordable. My friends from other parts of the US did not find it so. All things are relative and all the old clichés hold true - you get what you pay for - it's only money - what goes around comes around - go figure?

Of course you can live in other parts of Belize for much less - but the price is too high.

PROS:
No car payments
No car insurance
No gas guzzlers
Not much traffic (except Middle Street & in front of Tropic Air)
No need for shoes
Cheap property taxes
Cheap insurance
Cheap medical & vet care
Clean air
Fabulous fresh fruits & vegetables
Fresh fish & sea food
The nicest people you will ever meet
Sandy beaches
The most beautiful colors of sea water you will ever see and want to bottle

CONS:
Unreliable utilities
Unreliable transportation
Everything else I would add would just be bitchen

I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
U.S. Prices per month...

Rent for a spacious 2 bedroom a block away from the beach 600
Internet 25
Electricity $70
Food for the house $150 (fresh fruit and veggies every day... limited selection but you can make it work)

I walk everywhere, and take a cheap cab when I'm lazy...

Everything else is just going out to eat and having beers with friends periodically.

Your initial set up costs will be higher, and if you have to live my U.S. standards to be happy. Personally I don't mind hand washing laundry, and eating from street vendors. Saves a lot of money, and it gives you something to do.

If you don't know how to cook... learn.

My only gripe is that I'm from the city and single, so I'm going a little stir crazy after 4 months. I'm adapting though and trying to find more hobbies to keep me occupied.

S
S
Any good with a machete? My yard needs work...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.