Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#282922 06/05/08 11:28 AM
OP Offline
Belize-N-US, we started this discussion on the other thread but I moved here since it is a new topic.

As I understand it, you are trying to obtain a license to practice in Belize and disagree with their policy to restrict foreign doctors competing with Belize doctors. I get quite a bit of my medical work done in Belize and have been satisfied with the care. I guess I would agree with the policy protecting the Belize doctors from others coming to practice just like the government restricts work permits in other areas. From my experience, I see the availability of medical services by Belize doctors to be sufficient with the exception of many interior areas of the country. I certainly do not see a lack of doctors on AC. Belize doctors certainly do not have the income potential of doctors in the US and I think it would be a disincentive to attract Belizeans to study and practice medicine in their country if the country were to allow US doctors to semi-retire and practice there.

P
P
I agree with you 100%. The doctors here are good. Since rates for the doctors here are so reasonable I believe if Doctors from North America come down and start part time/full time their rates would not be affordable to most Belizeans.

S
spl Offline
S
I disagree with both of you.

Why don't you say the same about every other industry in Belize then? Why let any American or European into Belize and why give them permits for what they are doing? Who's to say that an American or Europeans rates aren't going to be affordable or necessary in Belize. I thought there were doctors there from other places and from what I heard they were a huge asset on the island.

Last edited by spl; 06/05/08 11:42 AM.
E
E
Correct Bywarren and Purdygirl. A U.S. doctor could not make it with the going rates in Belize, unless he was very well off to start with. BNU, I believe said he was 40 y/o and most likely still repaing loans. JMO

OP Offline
I don't consider it to be a matter of what the US doctors would charge so much as taking business from Belize doctors that have a hard enough time now making a living.

S
spl Offline
S
Believe it or not not all doctors who move to a country like Belize are doing it just for the money. Strongly disagree with you all that they shouldn't be given a permit for health care and to save lives.

I disagree.

"I get quite a bit of my medical work done in Belize and have been satisfied with the care. I guess I would agree with the policy protecting the Belize doctors from others"

Warren, that statement is contradictory. If you are satisfied then you would not change to a US doctor would you? If you are satisfied then others are as well and would not change to a US doctor just because he/she are from the US. Then the Belize doctors don't need government "protection" from a US invasion.

Why "protect" the Belize doctors only? Why not extend that same "protection" to utility companies, realtors, dive shop owners, hotel owners, ect.,ect.?

A free market creates opportunties and services, it doesn't limit them.

"I certainly do not see a lack of doctors on AC."

If you were a pregnant woman on AC who was bleeding to death from a placental abruption and needed a C/S delivery to save your life or that of your unborn child then I think you would see a lack of doctors and or services in a hurry.

If you fall and pucture your abdomen on a stick or something and need urgent surgery to save your life I think you will see a need for more doctors and or more services on AC.

These statements are NOT anti-Belize doctors which according to you do a good job. I have not needed them so I have no personal knowledge of their skills. This is simply a statement of the lack of some very important services on the island, some of which I personally would like to be able to provide and be some what compensated for.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
S
spl Offline
S
take business from Belize doctors? What about all of the other industries Americans, Canadians, and Europeans take away from Belizeans? This is at least a necessity!

OP Offline
Spl, my point is Belize should determine what skills and job they feel are needed for the country and protect jobs for Belizeans. Belize-N-US disagreed with the governments policy of doing this.

OP Offline
Belize-N-US, if you are willing to provide services that are not now available, then I agree with that just like I agree with the doctors that come here and donate services in specialties and areas where it is not available. I do not agree with a US doctor coming to Belize to practice medicine that Belize doctors can provide.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 168 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.