Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
The answer seems simple. The cost of diesel in houston is near $5/gal while the cost in Cancun is about $2.10 and in BZE it is "OUT OF SIGHT". Right off hand I can't think of a good reason why the GOB could not buy $2.10 diesel from Mexico and fill Continentals tank at BZE for their return trip to Houston. Would that not make BZE more competative with CAN for tourists? Wonder if the Tourisim Board has considered such a plan. Anybody know why it wouldn't work? Personally I could use a BUNCH of $365/rt tickets.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
Jet fuel is subsidized by the Mexican government to allow airfares to Mexico to be less expensive. They are not the least bit interested in lower airfares to Belize - just the opposite.

And, jets do not burn diesel.

Last edited by bywarren; 06/07/08 11:35 AM.
No kidding.....sounds like an excellent plan....I have been checking flights from CUN to the midwest, since the flights out of BZE are so high...even last summer you could get a round trip flight from CUN - ORD for just under $225. That's not happening this year......even the "specials" don't match last years prices or even close!

Change your Latitude
hmm imagine that, a government who subsidizes fuel prices in order to promote tourism....now I would not want the Cancun crowd here by any means, but at least make it feasible for some people to come~

Change your Latitude
OP Offline
The same report I read before said US Truckers were going across the border and filling up on the $2.10 fuel. It would seem that "anybody" can buy Mexican gas/diesel at about 1/2 the cost in the US,, so why not the GOB?

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
Well, I guess "anybody" can buy it if the Mexicans let them...I think that was what bywarren was saying...the Mexicans probably don't want to promote tourism to Belze.....

Change your Latitude
Once again, jets don't run on diesel. Mexico only sells jet fuel to planes fueling in Mexico. When I flew planes to Belize we would often stop in Merida to refuel. The savings offset the time and effort to stop. You can't just pull up to a filling station and load a tanker with jet fuel.

N
N
Doesn't the free trade agreement between Mx USA and CAN cover jet fuel/tourism? How can the Mx gov't subsidize jet fuel and not the US or Can?

NAFTA has nothing to do with what a country "subsidizes" within its own country. Just like the US highly subsidizes ethanol. It only addresses tarrifs and duties on products imported and exported.

E
E
I thought I posted earlier, but guess not. AUSTIN-Cancun $119 RT on VivaAreobus, a start up Mexican based carrier

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.