Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
The Bird Islands of Ambergris
Cayo Pajaros and Rosario Caye
65 million years ago the Atlantic and Indian Oceans began and much of the chalky sea bottom from Cretaceous times began to rise up to be land in the form of Paleocene Rock. The great reptiles died out; mammals and birds began their dominance. About 39 million years ago the first Ibidopsis (Ibis)and the first Heron formes fished the tropical shallows of the Americas. The Linnaean name for the order of Ibis and heron is Ciconiiformes. The order of Cioniiformes has given a start to a wide variety of interesting Heron and Ibis species.
Millions of years before Ambergris Caye was born juts of the paleocene rock broke the surface of the shallow sea off the coast of Belize. Trees began to grow on them creating an ideal sanctuary for these new birds to nest and raise their young.
Rosario caye and Cayo Pajaros on the west side of Ambergris Caye are natural sanctuaries formed exactly like this. Belizean Tour guides visiting the Bird Cayes point out at Cayo Pajaros Paleocene rock protruding from the shallow waters around it.
Today just like their ancestors from millions of years ago colonies of Ibis, and Heron use these two islands as refuge from predators. Herons, egrets, storks and other large waterbirds nest communally in what are called heronries. Colony and Heronry nesting is considered as a response to shortage of safe nesting sites and abundance or predictable food sources which are not far away from the nest sites. Rosario and Cayo Pajaros are heronries for Reddish Egret, Tricolored Heron, White Ibis, Little Blue Heron and Rosette Spoonbill because of their particular typography and proximity to the shallow flats west of ambergris that provides good fishing at depths reachable according to the birds' leg length. The interior of Rosario is a fresh water lagoon lined in mangrove that gives security to the nests approach and potable drinking water, making it an environmental jewel. Reproductive success and habitat selection is studied by ornithologist and this is where I might quote a scientific paper or two but in laymen terms let me say this; Young birds learn from older experienced birds and the mortality rate for birds raised in older colonies is low and the success of the Heronry produces most of the local population.
In a nut shell this is the importance of these two islands. If we want and enjoy the birds on Ambergris we need to preserve and protect where they come from.

Last edited by elbert; 06/14/08 03:11 PM.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Elbert, how do we help?

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
You just did.
Noticing and discussing it is what we need. There is a dredge parked 1/2 mile away and a crew has been stopped once already. I feel 'they', the persons wanting to develop it, are just waiting until no one is watching to fill the interior lagoon and then it will then be a moot point.
The land was illegally sold buy bad guys in the previous government and the new administration is giving a lot of lip service to preventing development and correcting the problem but no one has officially done anything to preserve this national treasure.
Thanks.

White Sands Dive Shop
Bless you Elbert
My daughter wrote me from California very concerned because a friend of a friend came down here with a group of 40 people looking to invest. Guess where they went? Yep!
Something has to be done now. Who can we write to? Will Heridia Jr. help?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
He would definitely be the man to spearhead the action.
Just remember its easy to give soothing answers to the public if your a politician. The real work that makes things happen is the difference between a good one and a bad one.

White Sands Dive Shop
P
P
I think that Audobon Societyand the Heritage Foundation have great leverage in these issues.They put on Internatonal pressure and it helps. Chocolate and Annie used another group , whose name slips my mind, to stop a giant project affecting the manatees. I would call them on Caye Caulker but I am in the states. The most effective pressure comes from multiple sources. It would be interesting to have the developers name and go to their local paper to let their friends and neighbors be aware of the behavior they exibit outside their own country.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
An abstract of the titles was done by a reliable para legal and its full of wrong doings and illegal acts , but there done by Belizeans not the developer hopefuls. The criminals that sold these are 100% Belizeans. The people who have bought them will be the ones who suffer the most. I don't think any prosecution will happen and
Eminent Domain really isn't something you do with someone who doesn't have a good title.
If government doesn't act soon its all moot.

White Sands Dive Shop
P
P
But these organizations make it uncomfortable enough that the government feels pressured to act. Is Green Reef acting on this?

S
S
"I would call them on Caye Caulker but I am in the states. "
pamkillen: Why can't you call from the states? You have great influence in these matters.

P
P
What the heck does that mean? Very odd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.