Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#286009 06/23/08 10:47 AM
Rykat Offline OP
OP Offline

Good one Rykat
bookmark

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Perfect, although I'm betting there will be someone out there who will take it as a personal attack!

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
Rykat, your research is unbeliveable and "right on baby"!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
ry, where do you find this stuff? that was pretty damn funny! laugh

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Being a group of lawyers you guys are perfect to answer a question I've had on my mind. I vaguely remember from my school days a rule about differences between the individual and persons in the public eye.
For example it might be a personal attack if I say something about pugwash's nose but not if I say something about Richard Nixons.
any one remember how that rule went?
(ps pug not ever having seen your nose you shouldn't take that personal :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
Elbert, you may be referring to the differing standards of proof required to prove slander/libel in a court of law. Generally speaking, the standard required to prove a case alleging slanderous or libelous statements about a private individual is lower than that required when alleging slanderous or libelous statements about someone defined as a "public figure". In the case of a public figure, actual knowledge that the statement made is false/untrue is required, whereas reckless disregard for whether the statement made or published is true or not may suffice in the case of a private individual. The definition of what constitutes a "public figure" is often the most pivotal part of the case.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
Thanks, :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
That's the rule, KC! Probably the best known example is the case of Hustler Magazine, Inc. v. Falwell, where Hustler published an extremely distasteful parody ad involving Jerry Falwell, his mother and an outhouse. The United States Supreme Court said that even though it was obvious the statements were false and Hustler knew they were false, it was also obvious the ad was not intended to protray actual events and Falwell was a public figure, so the speech was protected. Public figures are pretty much fair game. Is rykat a public figure? laugh

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Everyone in the room is staring at me because I just abruptly laughed out loud with a large volume.
Rykat is probably not . I'm feeling around for some guide lines for the board. Yesterday was a big day for personal attacks Its uncomfortable deleting some and not others.
pugwash's comment
"Perfect, although I'm betting there will be someone out there who will take it as a personal attack!"
reminded me.
sorry about the 'off topic'

White Sands Dive Shop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.