Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#286447 - 06/27/08 03:40 AM Beaches on Ambergris Caye Quality?
spdreamer Offline
I have recently seen a number of inquiries into beaches on the Caye. The unique location of inside the second largest barrier reef in the world prevents Ambergris Caye from receiving the benefit of the wave action creating long...shallow...sandy...beaches. However...we still have long and shallow beaches. Some spots are very sandy. We still have the second longest barrier reef in the world..and the reef and beaches are mutually exclusive.

This post is for beach lovers...please post the best beach spots on the Caye and why....

I already think I know the answers after 18 visits

#286450 - 06/27/08 04:07 AM Re: Beaches on Ambergris Caye Quality? [Re: spdreamer]
Three_Palms Offline
There are some gorgeous beaches North of the bridge...lots of nice sand.

#286467 - 06/27/08 12:39 PM Re: Beaches on Ambergris Caye Quality? [Re: Three_Palms]
SeeShell Offline
The beach by Caribe Island is nice - and Victoria House

#286503 - 06/27/08 07:42 PM Re: Beaches on Ambergris Caye Quality? [Re: SeeShell]
tacogirl Offline
I like the beach at Ramon's as it is nice to snorkel there and the beach at the cut / Boca Del Rio park for beach party pic-nics.

My favorite is still the west side. We have had some great fun boating over to the beaches there.

#286584 - 06/27/08 11:11 PM Re: Beaches on Ambergris Caye Quality? [Re: tacogirl]
Tim Callanan Offline
I agree with Taco Girl. WEST is Best, you wont find better beaches!

Edited by Tim Callanan (06/27/08 11:18 PM)

#286636 - 06/28/08 11:06 AM Re: Beaches on Ambergris Caye Quality? [Re: Tim Callanan]
SeeShell Offline
Taco Girl & Tim - I am glad to hear you think the beaches are best on the west coast since I own over there!!! My husband and I alwayls said that and every one else said we were crazy? Oh and the sand flees/leaches or what ever those things are called -

#286646 - 06/28/08 02:35 PM Re: Beaches on Ambergris Caye Quality? [Re: SeeShell]
Tim Callanan Offline
Congratulations, Property values have been going up rapidly. You made a very sound investment. Have you heard about the mosquitoes, they are big as birds. You Can't believe everything you hear !

#286650 - 06/28/08 03:26 PM Re: Beaches on Ambergris Caye Quality? [Re: Tim Callanan]
tacogirl Offline
SeeShell although we have seen sea-roaches or what ever they are and had the odd one try to get too friendly it did not gross me out as much as I thought it would by hearing peoples stories of them.

#286655 - 06/28/08 04:08 PM Re: Beaches on Ambergris Caye Quality? [Re: tacogirl]
Tim Callanan Offline
I think they are called water mites. They never bothered me. Friends of mine moved out West about 10 years ago and love it!
They swim and snorkel all the time out West and enjoy the beaches. The way they explained it to me was, you wouldn't know unless someone told you. Maybe the name "Sea roach" (yuck) has something to do with peoples perception.

#286707 - 06/29/08 02:26 PM Re: Beaches on Ambergris Caye Quality? [Re: Tim Callanan]
SeeShell Offline
Who do you know that lives over there? Is it the big orange/pink house?

Yea the bugs are bad and there is zero breeze and the sea roaches are bad - I have heard it all. Ad Yet Cayo Espanto is back there and its the most expensive? I dont get that?

Any way we are glad we bought when we did (about 3 years ago). I am sure I could have gotten a better deal - but doesnt every one say that?

I would love to see more developemnt over that way but I can wait. We have no plans for building any time soon. My husband and I are in our 30's and want to build by our 40's.

I was in Ascension Bay Mexico and had by first experience with sand flees or sea leaches. It was icky - they bite. But I have not experienced that on the West side of Ambergris. I am not sure if its the time of year or what.

Any way any info any one has on the West side - I would love to hear!!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.