Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Elbert, last time I took the water taxi there were 4 of us. Taxi ride from airport was $25US and I think water taxi was $15US. That is the best I can recall and I could be wrong, but it was definately cheaper.

Shuffles, I have taken the water taxi at least 6 times. NEVER have I had to lug my suitcases with me while walking around Belize City. They were well-tended by the water taxi terminal staff. Once when the terminal was kind of crowded I paid a young man to watch our bags. We travel pretty light and Camera, cash, etc are kept in my purse with me. Everybody's comfort level with this sort of thing is different.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
N
N
I agree with shuffles, the flight over on Maya or Tropic is awesome! After a day of flying, making connections and airports, a 17 minute flight over would be my choice...

CA Jen, Elbert has laid it out pretty well for you. When you walk out the door of the airport, just smile, relax, get a taxi and tell the driver you want to go to the Marine Terminal or just say to the water taxis. The cab is US$25 total (not per person), and it'll take 20 or 25 minutes to get there. No problem using U.S. cash. The fare is fixed, no bargaining.

It's a nice drive, with some interesting views of the Belize River, the northern "suburbs" and then downtown Belize City. Some of the drivers are real characters and some are all business. They won't rip you off. There's no need to tip the driver beyond the $25 unless you have a lot of luggage, but some people do tip.

The water taxi terminal is sorta in the heart of downtown, next to the famous Swing Bridge. The area is a little funky, but safe in the day time, though there may be some street guys who'll make a comment or two. Go in and buy your tickets to San Pedro at a little cage inside the building. Fare is US$12.50 one-way to San Pedro, per person.

If you've arrive pretty close to departure time, you'll see people giving their bags to guys who will put them on the boat, in the bow and also stand them up in the center of the boat. Or if there's more time before the boat leaves, the luggage is sorta stacked up in a roped area. The boats, generally open with outboard motors, seat maybe 35 people in a U-shape.

If you have extra time, you could walk around a little on Front St. or go to the Image Factory, which is near the Marine Terminal and one of the best places to see and buy contemporary serious art in Belize. There is also a small Maritime Museum in the Marine Terminal. Or you could just grab something to drink and sit and wait in the terminal (not air-conditioned, though).

It's about a 75 minute ride out to San Pedro. On a nice, sunny day it's a pleasant trip. Nearly all the boats stop briefly at Caye Caulker and also on demand at Caye Chapel.

You come in at a pier on the front (east) side of San Pedro, more or less in the middle of town. You can walk (if your hotel is in town and nearby), or take a taxi, or your hotel will have arranged to meet you. You should tell your hotel you are coming in by water taxi and ask what you should do.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
C
CA Jen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Lan and Elbert, you two rock! That was exactly what I was looking for. Anxiety level just dropped to almost nothing.

R
R
I'm no Belize expert, but I think flights from the International airport cost about $40 more than flights from the metropolitan airport due to the airport tax. So if several people are traveling together it is defintely worth while to take a taxi to the metro airport. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

N
N
You are close Rebelyell. Tropics current one-way fares are $63 from International and $35 from Municipal and $120 or $67 return.

The point ,or part of it ,is that the taxi to Belize city and water taxi ride hassle isn't worth it to save just a few bucks. you should also keep in mind the water taxi doesn't run after dark, arrivals are always late and you are likely to get stuck in Beautiful downtown Belize for the night.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
T
T
You should take the flight. By the time you add in the extra taxi fee, tip money to water taxi porters, and time lost from your vacation that will more than likely be expensive, it will cost you less just to take the quick flight from Tropic Air. There is not a whole lot of "scenery" in Belize City and you will not get nearly the water experience from the water taxi as you will get nonstop on the island.

Your Complete Property Management Service
Service is FREE for renters!
www.ThreePalmsProperties.net
You "should" do what you want. wink

Coming in from CA is almost always a morning arrival, so not much to worry about in terms of being too late to catch the water taxi. I don't believe I've ever had a late arrival. Not everyone finds the water taxi to be a "hassle." Not everyone takes the water taxi just to save money, not everyone finds a lack of "scenery" in Belize City and not everyone finds the water taxi ride to be "time lost" from vacation. For us it is one of the most enjoyable parts of the trip. It provides a slow, easy break-in period, an opportunity to chat with locals, a chance to wander a bit in Belize City and an experience on the water that is completely different from any we experienced while on tours or snorkle trips. Sometimes we fly and sometimes we take the water taxi. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

p.s. Mr. Sluder, your answer, as always, was very helpful.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Don't forget that the last water taxi to SP leaves at (I believe) 3:30pm, whereas the last scheduled flight leaves at about 5:30 and if incoming international flights have been delayed the flights to SP keep going until there are no visitors left. My record was leaving from the International at almost 7:45pm so getting home by around 8pm.

I recommend people who've had a long and tiring journey from Europe or the far north not even to consider the options but to hop on the plane. If you're fresh, the weather's good and time is not of the essence then the boat can be attractive.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 217 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.