Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend....

from a family group booked into Banyan Bay. The mother is in a wheelchair, so everyone had to go out of their way to accommodate her, beginning with Maya Island carrying her onto the plane, Banyan Bay for installing ramps, etc. I'd like this to be posted to publicly thank those mentioned below and so that we start thinking about the handicapped when we construct buildings and streets.

First, I want to thank you for all you did to aid us in enjoying Belize. Without you we would not have had many of the benefits we received.

The people we encountered were as nice and as helpful as any we have met anywhere in this world. At Banyan Bay they could not have done more for us. They built a ramp so Harriet could roll right into our unit. They also laid down a temporary walkway over The Queen's Beach to the restaurant that everyone, hotel guests and staff alike, took advantage of. The food at the restaurant was average, but the service was excellent.

In San Pedro the people we encountered were also very helpful. We enjoyed eating at a bunch of different restaurants. Harriet had to work to get into a few of them, but did OK. The best meal was at Casa Picasso, operated by Chris and Jennifer Eager from Atlanta. Jennifer made two cakes in celebration of Scott's birhday and our anniversary. They were terrific and so was Jennifer.

The weather was not always kind to us. On the way back from Shark-Ray Alley we got pelted with some pretty potent rain. My kayaking experience was limited by rough water. On the way home, at Belize City, Harriet had to be carried up the aircraft's stairway in a driving rain. We sure missed having a jetway. We probably would not be interested in flying TACA again, but they did their best. Maya Island Air was great. We enjoyed the two short flights.

While in San Pedro, we were hailed by a fellow named Tim Callahan who identified himself as being with Invest in Belize. He is involved with the San Pedro Neighborhood Watch group and seeing Harriet's wheelchair in our golf cart, asked if we could send him comments re how handicapped residents and visitors might be helped in San Pedro. He knew your name.

All-in-all, it was a good trip. Despite a few misadventures, we enjoyed the effort. Our grandkids could not have been happier and that in itself, made it all worthwhile.

Again, thanks for all your work. Anyone we meet who is interested in visiting Belize will be directed to you.

Regards,

Dick

Hubby and I were just discussing the other night about the fact that a wheelchair would be a problem in SP. I don't know how hard it would be to do, but what'd be great down there (available for rent/sale, etc) would be something along the lines of the handicapped "scooter"type things that're up here in the States--but with "balloon tires" for the sand!!! At least now days with the cobbled streets in some places it'd be a BIT easier than the sand with a regular wheelchair.
And..I'm quite sure that the wonderful people of San Pedro were wonderfully helpful!! They are some of the greatest people I've met around the world!!Belizean and ex pats alike!!

"Sometimes I go this way, sometimes I go that way-but it's always MY way!" LOL! "Cheshire" in CA
C
C
Have you been to Towns like San Ignacio? Makes S.P look like a breeze............

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
T
T
Perhaps building codes should be adjusted to allow for handicap access. Not a bad idea.

Your Complete Property Management Service
Service is FREE for renters!
www.ThreePalmsProperties.net
H
H

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 292 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.