Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#287677 - 07/08/08 05:04 PM Rosetta Stone
lil'red Offline
I have an employee who really wants to learn English and I would like to help her. Her memorizatio skills are excellent, so I thought maybe language tapes would be the best way. She works fulltime and has children so school is not an option.

Suggestions?

#287680 - 07/08/08 05:25 PM Re: Rosetta Stone [Re: lil'red]
elbert Offline
I've heard over the years from friends that learned english that watching tv is a major tool. also the effort to translate the words Who, What, Where ,When, Why and How, gets a lot of mileage.

#287681 - 07/08/08 05:29 PM Re: Rosetta Stone [Re: elbert]
SP Daily Offline
I've learned a bit of Spanish by watching (listening to) the news readers on Mexican TV. They speak clearly and pronounce properly. The same is true of the English news readers, particularly on CH46, CNN International.

#287682 - 07/08/08 05:43 PM Re: Rosetta Stone [Re: SP Daily]
azbob Offline
lil'red, my buddy Don, that was with me in March, is using Rosetta Stone to learn Spanish. I carried the software with me to SP, since he couldn't get it shipped to Afganistan. He says he is learning but has no one to practice on. The cost may be prohibitive: $450 US for the Spanish.

#287689 - 07/08/08 06:16 PM Re: Rosetta Stone [Re: azbob]
Amanda Syme Offline
lil red, you can get the rosetta stone disks at Transylvania Tech.

My kids nanny learned from the children. She watched baby tv - you know sesame street etc. There are some great shows on PBS. They have shows that have the written word, then it is verbalized and a little skit or a cartoon demonstrating the words.

#287690 - 07/08/08 06:19 PM Re: Rosetta Stone [Re: Amanda Syme]
Amanda Syme Offline
Oh, you can buy flash cards at Caye Supplies and the stationary store on the corner by Club Latino.

The library used to have "hooked on phonics" which is a great tool. And also if you go on line you will find an amazing amount of free English as a 2nd language info.

I am glad you are helping your employee - she will go far with a little determination!

#287691 - 07/08/08 06:21 PM Re: Rosetta Stone [Re: SP Daily]
Amanda Syme Offline
Originally Posted By: Jesse
I've learned a bit of Spanish by watching (listening to) the news readers on Mexican TV. They speak clearly and pronounce properly.

Jesse are you sure you don't watch the spanish channels for the dancing bikini girls???? Seems like everytime I am channel surfing there they are, making me dizzy.

#287697 - 07/08/08 06:54 PM Re: Rosetta Stone [Re: Amanda Syme]
SP Daily Offline
No, no, no...only the news...really....heh,heh...

#287699 - 07/08/08 06:55 PM Re: Rosetta Stone [Re: SP Daily]
pugwash Offline
I have a propensity for starting projects, while not necessarily finishing them, and as such spent a couple of hours last year with Rosetta Stone Spanish, Vol 1.

The pitiful result was that when 2 very beautiful young Mexican Mountain Bikers we encountered in Moab asked for help, and I tried to engage them in conversation, all I could remember was that “la avionetta est azule”.

Either they had no interest in a Blue Airplane, or found me rather pathetic: my wife voted for option #2

They looked great in spandex as they rode away though.....

#287701 - 07/08/08 07:33 PM Re: Rosetta Stone [Re: pugwash]
Amanda Syme Offline
The one phrase that always sticks in my mind is - donde esta la biblioteca? Where is the library?

Anyway, it hasn't gotten me very far along in life either.

Now I know how to order a beer, find the bathroom, and say sorry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (JaHo), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.