Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#281421 05/24/08 08:19 AM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020240/Divers-survive-night-in-shark-infested-waters.html

Another two divers lost on Great Barrier Reef, but fortunately found alive and well next day.

#281589 05/26/08 09:14 PM
P2, can you expain to us "non-divers" how does this happen: 2 people left from a diving trip? Shouldn't the dive boat be searching for them? I don't know because I am not a real diver, just a club/resort diver.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
I went to the Great Barrier reef years ago pre- Open Water, and I went on several types of snorkeling/diving trips. Some were small and everyone knew each other, but some were large boats with up to 30 people. Some people didn't even talk to each other, so if one or two would have been missing I don't think I would have noticed. I don't know if that was the case with this trip, but I've heard cruises on large ships do this type of excursion too, and if I were on one, I'd be shaking as many hands as I could and promising lots of people to buy then a beer afterward so they'd notice if I got left behind! Yikes!

Someone should make a diving mask with a flare built into it! smile
Worse comes to worse, you could just rocket out of there!

L
L
Unbelievable these people survived. Big article about this in our local paper yesterday. The woman is a long time business owner here in Sacramento - owns a popular restaurant downtown. They are very lucky to be alive.

N
N
"The two, part of a party of six divers on a charter boat who were diving off a small islet called Gary's lagoon, became separated on Friday afternoon, drifting about eight miles during the night."

A PARTY OF SIX ? And they didn't noticed that 1/3rd of their divers were missing? crazy

S
S
According to another article there were 20+ persons on the boat.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
I did two different live-aboard boats at the Great Barrier Reef in Australia back in '95. The first one held 34 divers - 17 were Japanese with a Japanese dive master and the other 17 were mostly European. As each person climbed up from the swim platform we were checked in; they recorded the reaming PSI and we had to sign our name. On the other boat there were only 12 of us. We all ate at one table and very much interacted.

By the same token I have been on day boats out of Key Largo where people did not interact and the recording was sloppy. A Captain friend of mine lost his license due to the dive master counting wrong and not noticing that a couple were not on board. They spent the night atop a buoy out on Molasses Reef. The stranded diver was a lawyer - need I say more?

I tell everyone who comes to dive with me to make sure you get connected with the other divers on your boat - no matter where it is that you dive. People who go missing inheritably have the "We want to be alone!" syndrome.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Did anyone else see "Dateline NBC" Sunday night entitled "Troubled Waters". The entire 1 hour show was dedicated to this incident. Of course they interviewed the couple the majority of the time detailing their experience. They also interviewed several of the other divers and one young man who kept a detailed log. The dive boat owner and the dive master where not interviewed due to a potential lawsuit. In my opinion, from what was presented on the show, the dive master did what he was supposed to do: as soon as it was realized 2 divers had not returned within the given time, everyone on the boat was on top deck with all binoculars looking for them. The dive master even when back in for an underwater search. After an hour, Search and Rescue was called in. The dive site had a strong rip tide and seas with 4' to 6' swells and getting dark. The couple could see the dive boat and the helicopters that were searching well into the night. They were spotted the next morning by one of the helicopters. At the end of the show they were asked about suing and all they said was it was under consideration. It seemed like it was one of those things that just happened, no ones real fault. Of course it was NBC, so I'm sure many facts and opinions were edited for TV.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
The stranded diver was a lawyer - need I say more?

nah, that comment says plenty - we're all "sue happy" smirk

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.