Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#289849 07/22/08 10:17 AM
C
Carib Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ok, as a newbie, I was reading "Why does anyone with a brain love Belize" (or words to that effect).... and I picked on the "M" word .... mosquito.

How saturated is it down there with 'em, do I need Malaria shots, and what combats 'em...?????

Last edited by Carib; 07/22/08 10:17 AM.

"And, Hey Kids..!! Don't Forget to Smash The State!!!"
- Mr. Natural
Carib #289850 07/22/08 10:20 AM
S
S
No shots or pills needed here on Ambergris Caye, but if you go into the jungles you may consider them.
Our mosquitos only get active at Happy Hour but OFF takes care of that.

SP Daily #289853 07/22/08 10:38 AM
well, actually, i think it really depends on where on the island you are. There's a reason they call it "mosquito coast" down south here....cant put out the trast this time of year without some bug spray. all those rain showers...

C
Carib Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Gotcha.

Maybe what I'm looking for is an overall crash course here ....:

- Critters and their downfall (we've talked about that, but more is good)

- Are sneaks and flipflops really practical..? Maybe a good pair of moisture resistant hikers..?

- Any other daily keep-yerself-alive-and-healthy-stuff-info would be ....well, ... nice.

"And, Hey Kids..!! Don't Forget to Smash The State!!!"
- Mr. Natural
Carib #289855 07/22/08 10:46 AM
Sandals, sneaks, flipflops, crocs . . .all work fine. No need to pack hiking shoes unless you plan to go to the mainland and trudge thru the jungle.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
For staying alive and healthy, we found; eat many meals with the locals, and buy their fruit. Take lots of long walks on the beach, drink plenty of water and island rum, oh remember Happy Hour happens many hours/day. The rest of the time we just bumbled through the day, having few plans or schedules and the days/nights were always an adventure.

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
6string #289935 07/22/08 08:11 PM
6string, hey guy! And he is right on! "just a little blues thing"!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
azbob #289959 07/23/08 08:04 AM
Carib, we always take malaria drugs when we come but then we do go into the jungles on the mainland. Use a good sprya like OFF with 100% DEET! Usually if there is a breeze the mosquitos are not bad.
Lots of Belikens and rum punches seem to ward off anything! Just hang loose, enjoy the wonderful locals, the fabulous food, snorkeling, long walks and you will be fine.

We always wear flip flops or sandals and have had no problems. Just be sure to drink only bottled water!

Enjoy!

Renee-md #289961 07/23/08 08:51 AM
i've never taken malaria drugs, and spent time in the jungle...maybe i just got lucky? i have always noticed more biters on the island than the mainland. never get bit in cayo. hmmm.

mossies are dependent on weather too - the they only breed in standing water. dawn and dusk are the worst times, and worst places are anywhere with no wind.

renee is right - bottled water. flip flops and sandals are fine, sneakers for a daytrip. i buy cutter and a seperate bottle of 100% deet, and mix them. it generally works well. benedryl cream fixes up any that get thru right quick.

don't sweat the small stuff...come with no expectations and you will have an amazing time!

SweetJane, I know that many people have told me that I don't need the malaria drugs and probably don't, but I am the kind of person that the one mosquito in all of Belize carrying malaria would be become my new best friend! LOL!.

Otherwise the only thing you have to worry about is nothing!!! Just have fun and enjoy a beautiful island!

Coming back for our 7th time in February.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.