Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290595 - 07/28/08 12:42 PM Calling to/from Belize
GoHawks Offline
I know it's been discussed before but after 30 minutes of searching I'm not finding my answers so sorry in advance for the duplicate questions.

First, I need to call the caretaker of the house we're staying at but I'm not sure what city code to use for Ambergris Caye (north end of the town) or a cell phone. I've got the 501 country code but that is it. Can anyone tell me off the top of their head?

Second, I'm trying to decide what is cheaper for calling the US from Belize when we are there next week. We are just looking for a way to check in with our kids a few times. I can roam with T-Mobile for $2.99 a minute or I can bring my unlocked phone down and buy a prepaid Digicel SIM but I don't know their international rates to call the US. So far I haven't had any luck finding the rates here or on their website.

Last year we bought an international calling card that said it worked from Belize but we could never get it to work, ending up paying a fortune to call home a couple of times from those international phones that take credit cards.

Edited by GoHawks (07/28/08 12:42 PM)

#290596 - 07/28/08 12:48 PM Re: Calling to/from Belize [Re: GoHawks]
GoHawks Offline
I forgot to add. Does anyone know if Verizon Wireless now works on Ambergris Caye?

I actually work for T-Mobile IT and worked for AT&T/Cingular before that and know a bit about cell phone networks. My understanding is that Digicel, the only Cellular network on the island, is all GSM for voice and GPRS for data (same as T-Mobile and AT&T in the states), where as Verizon is a CDMA network, basically incompatible. So, that being said I would assume that it will not work there.

Friends of ours that are coming with us have Verizon and adding an international package so they could call from Belize. I don't think it will work but the rep they talked to said it will. Are there some CDMA towers somewhere that they can hook into to roam down there?

#290597 - 07/28/08 12:59 PM Re: Calling to/from Belize [Re: GoHawks]
deadserious Offline
There are CDMA towers and if you have an international plan, it should work fine.
Now back to your regularly scheduled drivel...

#290604 - 07/28/08 02:02 PM Re: Calling to/from Belize [Re: deadserious]
Algae Offline
Verizon will work (what I have)....also, I carry a quad band phone and by the Digicell SIM card......works great.

Old people know more about being young, than young people know about being old!

#290609 - 07/28/08 02:20 PM Re: Calling to/from Belize [Re: Algae]
Renee-md Offline
Verizon will not work as far as calls go but you can text message and there was no additional charges. Worked when we were there in February.

#290611 - 07/28/08 02:31 PM Re: Calling to/from Belize [Re: Renee-md]
GoHawks Offline
Thanks for your answers.

Any idea that the per minute rate to the US if you take the cost of the SIM card + the minutes?

Just trying to figure out for a few 5 minute calls if it's worth it to buy the SIM + minutes, or just spend the $2.99 a minute with T-Mobile, or apparently the Verizon per minute charge is only $1.29 a minute, if it works from the island.

#290612 - 07/28/08 02:33 PM Re: Calling to/from Belize [Re: Renee-md]
sweetjane Offline
after spending $700 on calls in May, next trip we are brigning down the unlocked phone. here is what i copied off the 'net:

Domestic (within belize)
Peak Off-Peak
$0.85 BZD / $0.43 USD $0.60 BZD / $0.30 USD

Peak: 6:00am to 7:59pm
Off-Peak: 8:00pm to 5:59am
Calls to... Peak Off-Peak
USA $1.75 BZD / $0.86 USD $1.50 BZD / $0.75 USD
Caribbean, S. America & Canada $2.50 BZD / $1.25 USD $1.90 BZD / $0.95 USD
Mexico & Central America $1.90 BZD / $0.95 USD $1.40 BZD / $0.70 USD
Rest of World $4 BZD / $2 USD $3.50 BZD/$1.75 USD

#290614 - 07/28/08 02:56 PM Re: Calling to/from Belize [Re: sweetjane]
GoHawks Offline
Wow, only 0.86 a minute peak to the US, definitely a savings. I think I found the website you referenced, it's telestial. I was on a digicell.bz site where I couldn't find any rates.

If I'm reading the telestial site correctly it's $59.00 for the SIM card + Activation with $10BZ on the account. I'm assuming that $59 is BZ so about $30.00 US. Does that sound right?

Last question, from the San Pedro airstrip, where is the closest place to buy the SIM card and load the account?

Thanks all for their replies

#290616 - 07/28/08 02:58 PM Re: Calling to/from Belize [Re: GoHawks]
*I Do* Belize Weddings Offline
Correct. Just as long as you are here long enough and intend to make enough calls to make it worth it. Remember, you will have to purchase a number(and possibly unlock the phone) which will approximately $50 depending on if you use digicell or smart.

#290619 - 07/28/08 03:10 PM Re: Calling to/from Belize [Re: *I Do* Belize Weddings]
Dita Offline
I have AT&T and included international on my monthly plan and I have never had an issue using my phone either making or receiving calls.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (cracked up, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.