Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#29085 - 10/12/00 04:09 PM Does the reef need tending??
Debbie Offline
Just a quick question......
I had read on a previous post that the reef was undamaged and intact. This was fabulous news since so much of the tourism dollars to Ambergris depend on it..... But, I was wondering. In a hurricane there is tons and tons of debris. Most piles up on land, but I can't help but think that much of it will float back out to sea and sink somewhere. I would think that with the reef being so close and so shallow, it would catch a lot of this "backwash" so to speak. A garbage littered reef is not very appealing. I know so many San Pedro citizens depend on it. Who would cleaning up the reef fall on?? Is there a volunteer team of divers that would go to collect unwanted debris??? Can the "first run" toursist help with this on a volunteer basis??? Is it a problem at all??
Greenreef... Are you on line yet?? Thanks for any comments.....

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 10-12-2000).]

#29086 - 10/12/00 09:05 PM Re: Does the reef need tending??
Sandshaker Offline
Deb....I too am used to the waves at Pensacola Beach...coming in....then going out. Fortunately here, because of the reef, we get stuff washing up on the beach, depositing the trash...but no big return action going back out. It's more like ....just tides.
Of course, the next morning....raking of the beach front begins bright and early.

#29087 - 10/13/00 12:41 PM Re: Does the reef need tending??
Laguna Punta Offline
Surfs UP!
Gone fishing!!

#29088 - 10/13/00 04:02 PM Re: Does the reef need tending??
Chloe Offline
Know what the reef needs? Snorklers, and Divers in December, to view all the beautiful coral, and fantastic fish, oh the starks and stingrays too. We will appreciate all of that more, now.
Dare To Deviate

#29089 - 10/13/00 10:39 PM Re: Does the reef need tending??
Eva Offline
You can count on us to do that and more when we're there December 1-8!!! We postponed our trip, and changed our reservations a month but we're coming and we can't wait--there was no other place we wanted to go!!!! By the way, maybe Tammy will have info. also, my boyfriend who is an avid fisherman (the major reason we are coming to AC in the first place) wants to know if anyone that you know of needs anything we can bring from the States to help get their boats back up and running. Please let us know if you can think of anyhting, and post it here or E-Mail me at EvaHope@aol.com. We'll be happy to bring those things down with the other relief supplies we're taking with us. Hope you are all doing all right--our thoughts and prayers are still with you.
Take care,

#29090 - 10/14/00 01:31 AM Re: Does the reef need tending??
Chloe Offline
Eva, it is good people like you, that helps all of us, feel better. I must say on this board you could not find a better bunch of people, to have fun with, and to help with the donations. You guys are the greatest.
Dare To Deviate

#29091 - 10/14/00 05:24 PM Re: Does the reef need tending??
Daemyon Offline
How about some Goldfish?

#29092 - 10/14/00 09:50 PM Re: Does the reef need tending??
chicke Offline
We also postponed till Jan. We are sad but the grandparents in N.O. are delighted we will be there in Nov. instead of A.C. but I keep telling myself Jan. is just around the ..........
Robin Holder

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,705 Topics
461,224 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.