Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#291687 08/04/08 09:08 AM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Letters to the Editor this weeks San Pedro Sun.
Harrison Longsworth (Harry) Chairman of the Ambergris Caye Traffic Control Committee sounds like my kinda guy. He says Don't even be thinking about a bribe, every one gets equal treatment under the laws of the land.
This integrity seems to be spreading to the rest of our new local government. Nothing wrong with transparent,honest, responsible, dedicated members of public service. Go Harry!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Just words.

I know for a fact that a bribe occured with desired results just 3 wks ago.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
S
S
Tell Harry...

If he doesn't, I would say the "just words" also applies to him.

S
S
Guess you don't know Harry

I am talking about BNU. If someone has knowledge of a crime and only writes about it on a message board, that is "just words".

Baiting again Warren?

I thought we agreed to bury the hatchet.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Not at all. I just hope you are doing more than bringing it up on the message board. You said nothing of reporting it. It would be nice to hear that the authorities act on something like this.

You are accusing someone of being corrupt. That should be acted on with more than "just words".

Last edited by bywarren; 08/04/08 11:48 AM.
Originally Posted by Belize-N-Us
Just words.

I know for a fact that a bribe occured with desired results just 3 wks ago.

The traffic committee is made up of quite a few board members - all of which have only one vote. There are guidelines that are followed in order to approve or reject an application. Please provide proof of the fact that a bribe occurred. Stipulate to whom the bribe was paid and in what amount.

You have made a public accusation on this board and you should now substantiate that remark.

I await your prompt response.

Amanda Syme, Justice of the Peace
Former Chairman of the Ambergris Caye Traffic Control Committee

Bribes come in many shapes, sizes and colors. Here in the US they are called campain contributions. Contributors expect something in return for their contribution whether that is just better leadership or a personal favor.

My "accusation" is a fact. I could "report" the person who took the bribe but I won't no matter how much some of you try to bait / bagger me into it.

Reasons: 1. I don't want to be "black listed" with the town officials and not be able to get needed permits or whatever in the future.

2. Bribes come in many forms, money, favors, vacations, memberships, use of equipment (boats,cars), sexual favors and virtually impossible to completely eliminate.

3. I see or hear of a lot of "illegal" activity that I choose not to report as do many of you. Example, underage drinking on the island, underage driving a cart, purchase and smoking of pot, public nudity, ect. Some things just aren't worth the trouble of reporting to me. The law may be black and white but the reality is that there are shades of grey.

Just because I refuse to name the individual involved doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Cudos to this guy for his stance on bribes! But just because he said it or wishes it that doesn't make it reality.

Reality lives in that shade of grey both there and abroad. Who you know is (and will always be) more important than who you are.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 08/04/08 01:26 PM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.