from the Chamber of Commerce....
Jim Oliver spoke on the importance of Belize realizing the income and potential of catch and release game fishing, particularly of tarpon, bonefish, and permit. Jim operates a fishing guide service in Alaska, and shared the experiences and efforts to maintain this resource. Ali Flota, one of our Directors, is on the committee proposing protective measures for sustaining the population and size of these fish.

Jim said “I have a copy of the cult classic film 'Tarpon' set in 1973 Key West which paints a clear picture of not only the fish but the need for catch and release, back then it was unheard of. I'd like to find a place for a public showing of this film which I think will help everyone understand the need for this fish to be added to the catch and release only category along with permit.

UPDATE: Jim reported that he spoke with the owner and manager at the Playa Lounge and they agreed to provide their lounge for the showing of the movie "Tarpon" on Wed. August 13th at 7:00 PM. The showing will be free and the manager offered to have the drinks discounted for the showing. We will have it start at 700 PM with a short introduction, run the 53 minute film, and then a follow up 30 minute session afterwards on the importance of making all 3 of the grand slam fish catch and release only and enforcing it.

This is a 1973 cult classic film in the hay day of Key West's hippie days so it's more than just a bunch of fish being caught and wil hopefully not bore the local guide. It shows both sides of the fishing story from party boats to the release of tarpon.